Pull then refrigerate?

Will R.

TVWBB Fan
Okay, I'm doing 2 Boston butts on Friday morning for a party on Saturday--don't really have the time (or energy) for an overnight or early a.m. session. Should I pull then refrigerate, and reheat or should I keep the butts wrapped, refrigerate, reheat, and then pull on Sat. morning?

I pulled, 'friged, and reheated once before but wasn't too thrilled with the results. I thought maybe I did something wrong.

So, from experience, what do you suggest?

And if I reheat it whole, should I use the WSM or oven? Add some liquid to it? Just place directly on grates since the bark will already be formed?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't fire up the WSM just to reheat BBQ. Reheating already-pulled pork is faster and easier than reheating it whole. Be sure to retain any juices when you pull it and add it back to the meat. Store it packed relatively tightly in an airtight container, or vacuum seal it if you have one. Vacuum packs of up to two pounds reheat easily and will fit in an average size pot of water. Bring the water to a rolling boil, place the packet in the water and remove from heat-- the meat will be properly reheated in about 10-15 minutes.

In the absence of a vac sealer, reheat gently in oven (225-250°) or microwave (a minute at a time on about 1/3 power), adding a couple tablespoons of apple juice or broth per serving in either case.

I usually pull when hot/warm, mix with the juices that were in the foil when I unwrapped after the rest (plus little apple juice mixed w/vinegar if needed) and some rub; then I let it cool completely, uncovered in the fridge before sealing it up or freezing it. If I FoodSaver, I reheat in boiling water as Doug described. This is the method I prefer; it's easier and it saves time on eat-day.

I've not pulled it many times though and the results were fine. I chill or freeze large chunks of the butt rather than the whole thing, roughly equal in size. I reheat them slowly in the oven, spread out in a pan, with the saved foil juices and maybe a little a.j., tightly covered in foil, then pull, and mix in a little rub (and liquid if needed).

Thanks for the advice Kevin and Doug.

I think I'll go ahead and pull it then refrigerate it, but more than likely, I'll do an early a.m. cook.

I would pull it in advance, and mix in a little cider vinegar (just a little) and some rub in with the pulled pork. Stick it in the fridge, then on Sat put in the crock pot to heat it up and keep it warm.

Will,

I did 16 last year for a festival I was cooking for. The festival was cancelled at the last second due to heavy rain and I pulled all 16 and froze for the following week.

The reheat was perfect and as mentioned, add a bit of applejuice or whatever you prefer.

This year I'll do a week early just because logistically it worked out so much better.

Back