Pull pork now or later?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on smoking a butt a day or two before I will actually use it for a party. Should I pull it immediately after I cook it, or should I pull it the day of the party (while cold and then re-heat it)? I'm also planning on using the Jamaican jerk seasoning that Tommy P. and Geoff U. recommended. If anyone has any feedback on how that type of seasoning works with pork butt I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Alan

It seems many will recommend you pull it a couple of hours after you take it off the smoker (afterwrapping and burying in a cooler for an hour or two to let a littel more of the collagen break down.

I pull it while it's still hot. A couple times I've had it come off the smoker late at night and just stuck it in the fridge to pull the next day. It was a lot harder to pull when cold so I try to avoid doing it.

If you put it in the frig before pulling, the problem is you'll need to reheat the entire butt. First, this will take some time. Second, it will be difficult not to cook it more which may result in a drier meat. Best solution is to pull within 4 hours of finishing the cook (after being held in HD foil in a cooler), reseason each layer as you pull it, store in an airtight container or two in the frig then reheat before serving.

Paul

Thanks guys, I guess I'll pull after smoking (and resting a little while). Appreciate the help!

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back