prototype side shelf for the 18.5 WSM

Mike Stavlund

TVWBB Member
Thanks to the fine folks around here, I did a few mods shortly after getting my used WSM. Most notably, the Genie garage door handle mod to the middle section (I added four instead of just two) and the threaded lamp rod grommet mod for running thermo wires into the unit. Running the wires into the side of the smoker worked a lot better than through the lid, but still left me with the problem of where to put the electronic sending unit for my thermometers. So I started thinking about some kind of shelf.

The biggest hindrance was materials-- I am too cheap to go out and buy some plywood or other sheet good, and I didn't have any scraps that were big enough. My idea was to put 3/8" dowels vertically into the garage door handles (a nice snug fit), then use a piece of plywood to pass the dowels through. The trick being finding something thick enough to get a good purchase on the dowels while not being too heavy overall. And I was thinking that weather resistance would be nice, too.

About a month ago, I was at the lumberyard buying some PVC trim for a project. I asked about some scraps of 5/4 stock (1 inch actual thickness), and the dude was nice enough to give me a nice-sized chunk of the stuff (really nice, since this stuff is really expensive). Way more than I needed for my project, and then I remembered the WSM shelf project kicking around in the back of my head.

I took some luan plywood to make a template. Just laid the plywood out, then traced the arc of the middle section of the smoker on it. I free-handed a more elliptical arc beyond that so that my shelf would be wide enough without being too terribly heavy. Then cut it out with a saber saw. I tweaked the shape a little, and marked out the hole placement with a pencil passed through the handles from beneath. Once I liked the shape, I traced it onto my PVC and started cutting.

I left a good half-inch of airspace between the shelf and the cooker, though I'm still a little concerned about the shelf getting hot. It has stayed cool at temps up to 290, though, so we might be good. I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm not presenting this as some masterpiece, but as an idea-starter for anyone else who might be interested in improving on it. In retrospect, I think the whole thing is too heavy, and might be better built out of thinner material. Plywood would be lighter, and a 3/4" piece would be plenty thick. And I was even thinking that I could have just used my luan template with blocks of scrap plywood attached to give it more purchase on the dowels. A couple of coats of polyurethane or lacquer would give it enough protection for several seasons.

IMG_9325.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

good job innovating. I agree that if your only holding a couple light items that lighter material may work better. put a couple dowels sticking out the side so you can hang your tongs too. Weber needs a WSM Platinum

The cover is really, really tight. ;-) Less than ideal.

The original cover that came with my 2008 WSM is even tighter, though. I think they might have increased the size on it slightly. And I'm going to cut off the elastic at the bottom of the new one to make it a little easier to slide on.

Hey Mike, nice job. I have been playing with a similar idea. I used a piece of cedar and have been going to simply do a lift in, lift out, with a single handle and the dowel centred in the radius of the shelf. I do not think the smoker will get hot enough to cause a problem even with HH.
I found the cover to be a PITA with four handles on the smoker. All I really wanted was a place for my Maverick anyhow.
There's no question a temporary shelf would be very handy. Someone did one here a while ago on either side and it looked pretty sharp but for me they have to come on and off easily. :)

I wonder why Weber hasn't came out with a side shelf for the WSM myself or even a lid hanger. They have a lot of add on's for the Kettles but zip for the WSM. Really nice mod by the way. I have seen quite a few nice mods on here for the WSM, carts, the handle, the probe hole and wheels not to mention all the great grid mods.

One unexpected benefit of this shelf is that, if I run the wire up and over the shelf, it provides a safety against my Maverick falling down and hanging against the side of the hot smoker. When I used a separate table, I was always worried that a gust of wind would leave the Maverick melting against the side of the WSM. Now I at least know that I have a fail-safe if the wind comes up or if I bump something when tending to the smoker to keep my electronics out of harm's way.

I've done some cooks up to 300 now, and the shelf stays pretty cool, FWIW.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Happy smoking.

Back