proper method of making Santa Maria Style BBQ tri tips

Kevin D

I don't know if Santa Maria Style tri tip is considered 'grilling' or 'barbecueing', since it's somewhere in between.

Well, I want to produce as close to SM style as possible with my WSM rig. I got some CA red oak from the Internet, I have 'magic dust' from The Hitching Post in Buellton, I have a source for tri tips, and I'm going to make the proper accoutriments of slasa, french bread, and pinquito beans.

What's the proper way of setting up the WSM to best emulate the real rigs that they use in the Central Coast of California? I assume leave out the water pan and use the bottom grate only?

I did read the article on the cooking section. I just want verification and tips.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin - I leave out the water pan altogether, like you suggest.

On the WSM, I would just throw it on the top grate, but run the smoker as hot as I can. I can usually get it running around 400+ for a short while if I use two full lit (weber) chimneys of charcoal. At that temp, it gets a good sear on the outside, and quickly settles down to around 350, where it will sit for the next 15-20 minutes or so until the tri-tip is done. In my estimation, it is pretty close the santa maria style. Doing it on the bottom grate, I think you'd need to take it up to the top grate after a few minutes so it doesn't burn. Unlike a grill, you can't move the roast from one side to the other... I'd just rather do it on the same grate.

While I haven't seen the old barrels they used to use in SM for tri-tip, my guess is that the distance between the fuel and the roasts is closer to the distance between the coals and the top grate in the WSM.

Regardless, you'll be mighty happy with the results...

For a slight variation on what you are doing (and a good article on tri-tip, check out this article from the LA times ).

I did the SM syle tri tip this weekend, and I'd have to say it was a success.

I didn't realize what high temperature grill the WSM could be if you really wanted it to be. With only about 1.5 chiminey of charcoal, two handfull of oak chips, the access door and lid off, there was a huge vortex of fire leaping out of the WSM. I took advantage of that to get a good sear on the three tri tips I had (two using the Hitching Post rub, and one using the LA time minced garlic rub). After some good sear marks, I removed the meat, closed off all the vents, until the temperature started to fall to about 350 or lower. Then I put it on the top rack with more oak chips to smoke until the internal meat temperature reached 130F. I meat was juicy and had a good amount of smoke flavor.

I read somewhere that substituting fresh red oak coals for the charcoal yields more manageable temps, and imbues the traditional oak fire flavor.
Anyone in the NY area have a source for tri-tip?

michael - Trader Joes is the only place I know of on the East Coast that consistently sells it.

Kevin - Sounds like it turned out great. What was the difference in the end product between the two kinds of tri-tip you did (LA Times version and the dry rub).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
Kevin - Sounds like it turned out great. What was the difference in the end product between the two kinds of tri-tip you did (LA Times version and the dry rub). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be perfectly honest, it was difficult to tell any difference. It could be for the following reasons:

1) I didn't let the rubs sit on the meat very long, about 10 minutes. A lot of the LA Times garlic/peppercorn rub was knocked off during searing phase of the cooking. I heard a lot of popping as soon as it hit the grill, from the peppercorns flying off in the heat.

2) I didn't put enough of the rub on the meat. I'd seen some recipes, specifying adding more rub AFTER cooking. I didn't do this. And the LA Times article recipe yield was just barely enough to coat one tri tip.

3) The oak overwhelmed the flavor of the garlic.

4) My palate isn't good enough to taste a difference.

5) A combination of the above.

One of these days, I'll try it again. It was pretty fun using the WSM as a grill. And I want to improve upon the technique and recipe. So I will report again.

Back