Propane Torch for lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredM

Has anyone ever tried lighting a chimney with a small propane torch? the kind that uses 1 pound cans. I hate using paper and was thinking about just lighting off 4 to 5 pieces putting the in the bottom of the chimney then filling it up.

That would probably work. I just use small chunks of fireplace starter under the chimney. It's cheap and doesn't leave a mess of ashes like newspaper.

Bill

you can do it that way but kinda messy. can just put the coals in and reach underneath to light them off. personally i would just get some starter cubes or use the diamond fire starters. i use strike a fire and cut them up in several pieces. especially cheap when on sale no muss no fuss.

Why not just light your fuel directly in the cooker with the torch? Skip the chimney altogether. I guess that's just how I do it anyway.

I have a weed burner - attaches to a 20 lb propane tank - and it will light charcoal FAST. I have another device that uses 1 lb tanks. Its about 2.5 feet long and does a good job. I use it mostly with my Kamado Joe since I can light the lump in 4 places in 4 minutes and its ready to go in about 10 minutes total. I have a small propane torch and I think it would work just as well, but will take a bit longer since the area of the charcoal you are lighting initially will be smaller than with a weed burner.

If I'm not in a rush, however, I still use a chimney and use the Weber starter cubes. However, I've just discovered the diamond fire starters George mentioned and they seem to be cheaper than the Weber cubes. With a chimney and the starter cubes or fighters, it is no muss, no fuss.

Pat

I have used the Strike-a-fire and they definitely work, but I am hoping the propane will produce less smoke on startup. How long would it take to get a few piece of charcoal lit with a small torch? i have never used one. I use a weed burner for my large wood fired smoker but I don't own a torch.

If you wanna get it fired fast chekout MAPP.(2400c or around 5k f)

Burns hotter then Propane and can be used upsidedown(hand held burner)

Expensive..a bit but a bottle(what iv read)last a really long time.

I use the torch exclusively. I torch a small pile (about 10 briq.) until all are lit, directly in the kettle. Then I add whatever amount and wait a few minutes for the remainder to ignite, or go ahead and get settled into a quasi minion method fire. I use the kettle at least once a week and the bottles last a good while.

If you don't like the mess of the paper under the chimney and want to continue using it, the paper towel/cooking oil method leaves no ash.

gary

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
I use the torch exclusively. I torch a small pile (about 10 briq.) until all are lit, directly in the kettle. Then I add whatever amount and wait a few minutes for the remainder to ignite, or go ahead and get settled into a quasi minion method fire. I use the kettle at least once a week and the bottles last a good while.
gary

+1 for torching exclusively. I either torch a small pile on the grill like Gary or start a chimney from the bottom with the torch.

I use this torch on a small propane bottle.

@ Wolgast - I'll try a bottle of MAPP for the next one i buy.

Think it's my inner pyro that enjoys the torch option
icon_wink.gif

I do have some Weber cubes around here somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back