Propane grill not level.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
Will a propane gril that is not level have an effect on th cooking? My MIL's grill has a bad hot spot even after I replaced the burner. It's a cheap grill and the burner replacement was a generic I got at Home Depot. Will the fact that the thing is not level have anything to do with it? I personally think it's time for a new grill but wondered if it would be worth the trouble to try and level the pad the grill sits on.

How far out of level is the pad? My driveway has a 1/4" per foot pitch. My old gasser was 4' wide and that worked just fine being 1" out of level.

Tim

It depends on how out of level your grill is. An aspect of Fluid Mechanics called 'head effect' comes into play. But it is unlikely to be a major player in your case. If the hot spot is at the lowest point, it might be responsible. Head effect addresses the delivery pressure loss involved when the propane is piped to different heights. Gravity causes a pressure loss as you pipe things away from the earth. A vertical grill would have lower gas pressure for upper burners than lower burners. If you measured your house's water pressure in the basement and the 2nd floor, it will be higher in the basement.

Back