Project idea: 22" Kettle in a portable Jumbo Joe format

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
I've been mulling this idea for a project for a long time. I love my Jumbo Joe for its portability and that it locks the lid so you can carry the whole thing with the lid handle. I use it when we're in the camper to grill dinner and then after we eat I just toss some firewood on top of the hot coals and it starts our campfire for the night. When we're ready for bed I just put the lid on and close the vents and it's taken care of.

The only thing I don't like is the size. What I really want is a 22" Jumbo Joe. My thought is to get a Master Touch 22" from the marketplace. It'll have the lid bale already. I can remove the full ash catch system from the bottom of the bowl and cut the legs down to 3 or 4 inches long and put rubber caps on all 3. The only thing I can't decide on is how to make the lid lock down to the bowl so it can be carried by the lid handle. I've considered a full ratchet strap going around the entire grill but I don't really like that plan.

Anyone have any better ideas for this?

I've thought about making a close to the ground height kettle stand.

Original ash pan. Short legs, make all the pieces fit inside for storage

I might do this with an old beat up kettle.

Last edited:
Or.... maybe you could modify the wire bail on your 22" to swing up like a Jumbo Joe to Lock your lid. Not sure where it would land but I'd bet it would be somewhere in the metal area of the lid handle. Maybe you can create notches there to lock the bail wire into.

Last edited:

Back