Prohibited characters in SSID?

Ken Ba

I have a new wifi router. the 5G band's SSID default name has an underscore in the name. is that a problem for the Heatermeter/Pi software? I can't connect at 5G. I am able to connect at 2.4G, which has no special characters.
Of course, Heatermeter doesn't need the speed of the 5Ghz band, but wondering about the special character.

The characters shouldn't be an issue. What RasPi are you using? Only certain models support 2.4 and 5GHz

The characters shouldn't be an issue. What RasPi are you using? Only certain models support 2.4 and 5GHz
There are numerous electronic devices of all varieties which still do not support 5G WiFi. This is true for my current wireless security CAMs. This is the first thing I would check.

I'm using the original Pi model A. likely it doesn't support 5Ghz.

I also have a new Pi Zero WH, which for some reason won't connect at all, to either band, even using the same micro SD card as I use successfully in the model A (with a micro SD adapter, of course). but the A is working so I'll leave it at that. (I tested the Zero with a raspbian download and it works fine and connects to my wifi router properly.)

thanks for the info. I'm happy with using it at 2.4Ghz. just an "academic" question.

The underscore works for sure. If you're using an original Pi A, then you're using an external wifi adapter and the only wifi adapters I support only do 2.4GHz so that would be why it doesn't connect. The Pi Zero WH doesn't do 5GHz either, but should connect to the 2.4GHz network. Not sure why that's not working for you, unless you actually got a Pi Zero W 2, which doesn't work at all with HeaterMeter.

Back