Product Review: Wegman's Lump

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
(Not sure which form to put this in)

I was at Wegs yesterday and picked up a 10lb bag of their lump charcoal for $5.99. Not a bad price, but not the best either. I cooked a tri tip with it last night. I was pretty pleased overall with it. I found it on Nakedwhiz this morning (an old review, but there, nonetheless) and learned that it is basically Royal Oak. Good stuff though. I'm going to have to run by Super Wal Mart to compare the pricing to the RO there.

If you can't find RO in your area, but have a Wegmans, it's probably worth a try.

Jim,the WM here in NC are kind of hit and miss for RO. We have a WM about 2 miles from the house,and they get maybe 20 bags for the whole season. They keep K year round. Other stores keep RO on hand,so when I'm needing some lump for grilling,I hit another store.

Phil,

Being in NC, I imagine you probably have a Harris Teeter nearby. Though expensive, their lump rated pretty well on nakedwhiz. I'll buy it from time to time if I need a little charcoal and I'm there (the store is very close to my house). I've found it to be pretty good.

Jim

Jim,

I'm at the end of a bag of Wegman's Lump and it seems to be really throwing a lot of sparks out of the chimney. What did you think of yours?

I'm just about done with my first bag and while it throws off some pretty good heat, I also think it's quite "sparky".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Jim,

I'm at the end of a bag of Wegman's Lump and it seems to be really throwing a lot of sparks out of the chimney. What did you think of yours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't noticed much sparking, but it's very smoky. Only at first though - dissipates pretty quickly.

Back