Problems with ET-73

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Received mine Wednesday from Gadget Source mainly due to recommendations on this forum. I tested it some and then did a cook yesterday. I'm having trouble with the receiver updating. The transmitter display updates constantly but even when right next to the receiver it fails to update for minutes at a time. In the house about 25 feet away the receiver will stay fixed on the same numbers for long periods of time. At one point there was a 12 degree difference between the units before it finally updated. At about 50 feet away the numbers won't change at all and it loses contact with the transmitter frequently. Anyone know how often the receiver is supposed to update? Do they need to be pointed at each other? I've read the threads and people seem to be pleased with theirs. Do I have a problem or am I expecting too much?

I'm not sure what results are others are having, but mine behaves much like yours. The receiver doesn't update each time the transmitter pulses the signal. I haven't found it to be a big deal, but it was a little annoying at first.

I don't own the ET-73, but I do have a good quality remote (one probe) from Williams-Sonoma and it transmits and receives about every 15-30 seconds. That should give you some idea of what is possible. Maybe the two probes and two measurements slow things down. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

The Williams Sonoma is also extremely accurate and transmits through two walls (mostly!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I've never timed the time it mine takes to update, but it's very fast. I would estimate every second or two. Also works inside my all aluminum mobile home from 50 ft away. I haven't had to try it from a greater distance. I would replace the batteries to make sure they're fresh (new doesn't always mean fresh). If that fails, time to call the distributor. If you bought from thegadgetsource.com, they are very nice to deal with.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Mine will get that way when I start getting to far away. Like around 50ft or so. But otherwise it updates I'd say every 5 seconds or so.
The first time I used it I was in the house. The grill was in the back. I found out I had to leave the back patio door blind open to get a good signal. With it shut it would'nt update. Keep in mind this was when I was on the computer in the living room which is in the front of the house. So there's about 2 or 3 walls between it.

Update:
An email to Maverick confirmed that there was a problem with the unit. I called Gadget Source, they asked a couple of basic questions like "did you find the little on and off switch in the battery compartment of the transmitter" and then sent a replacement by priority mail with a return slip for the old one. You can't get much better service than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back