problems getting high temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
Since the highs were predicted to be in the mid 70's this past Sunday, I decided something should be on my smoker! Since this was a last minute decision and I knew prep and cooking time both needed to be short, I decided to do one of the high temp cooks and chose a very nice piece - the coveted rib roast (choice, not prime). We had friends coming over for the LSU vs Oklahoma game and knew I wouldn't have a hard time finding mouths to feed!

I started 2 full chimneys of charcoal - once they were ashed over, I put them in and assembled my WSM leaving the vents at 50% (according to the herb crusted recipe). My temp got up to about 300 after 30 minutes - I decided to go ahead and open all vents to 100% - after another 15 mintues or so, I was still just over 300. At this point the meat had to go on. I also opened the access door for about 15 minutes to let more air in - but didn't want to leave it open for long - I had to get my wood on there!

After I put the meat on, I started another batch of coals in the chimney trying desperately to get to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, the wood was put on and the meat was cooking/smoking. Once I put the third batch of hot coals on, the cooker rose to about 325 - now this is with 3 full chimneys - and I guess about 10-12 pounds of fresh Kingsford.

While having these "problems" getting my temp up, I remembered the earlier post about adding a top vent and/or cracking the lid to get the temp up. So I cracked the lid and the temp rose about 75 degress in 20 minutes. Then I closed the lid and finished my cook. Adding that top vent is looking like a good idea to me...In fact, I seem to remember having problems similar to this on my Weber Kettle back in the day - coals going out or not getting hot enough without cracking the lid - but I don't use kettles anymore - using homemade these days...

I guess I will also give my "credentials" - I have probably smoked 50 shoulders/butts but have never tried the high temp, short duration smokes until now. Looking back on it, the 1 thing that may have made a difference is that I assembled the smoker as soon as I dumped the chimneys - I didn't let them burn any more - but they were pretty ashed over already. Just a thought...any others???

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length...sometimes it is just necessary to get the whole story out!

I certainly do not have an explanation for what happened. You're basically using the standard method which I have used many times and always results in an initial high temp which needs to be choked down. I wonder if your thermometer is reading correctly ? If you were seeking such high temps, I guess you were using an empty water pan ? Even when I use water and the standard method, my initial temp is around 400 and I have to close the vents some to bring it down before putting on the meat.

I'll be interested in hearing the experts answer this one.

Paul

Honestly, no I haven't tested my thermometer in boiling water yet, but had 2 different therm's - one installed "permanently" in a drilled hole in the lid, and one through the vent - both read about the same. And I forgot to mention that there was no water in the pan - foil lined, but empty.

The only difference between this and standard that I can think of is the amount of charcoal - The ~12# I used didn't come close to filling up the ring. And as mentioned earlier, I didn't let the coals fire up more once I put them in the ring, but all of them came out of 1 of my 2 chmineys and were ashed over before I put them in the WSM.

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like you worked it out and learned a lot. Cracking the lid can do wonders to bring heat up. Just never forget and do it too long /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif . I think it is better then opening side door as you can loose alot heat out the side. So how did it turn out?

One final thought. Are you using Weber chimneys ? I believe about 2 1/2 Weber chimneys will nearly fill the ring. You may simply have not started with enough lit charcoal.

Paul

My WSM always ran cooler than seemingly everyone else. I have always had to run all vents wide open to keep temps where I want them. I then adjusted temps with the amount of lit fuel.

Now-a-days I "cheat" and use a BBQ Guru to hold my temps. It's rock solid!

That was a good trick with cracking the lid a bit.

Rick, you made a comment above about "adding a top vent". Please forgive me if I've missed it in another post - what are you cooking on?

Keri C

I too have had trouble getting temps above 300. But then I've only used 1 chimney lit with 1 unlit and vents wide open. Have never tried 2 fully lit chimneys. Might have to do that.
However, my turkey and the duck turned out fabulous. I'm going take your lead and try a big bone in roast next time I get some extra OT. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
One other thing. I've noticed that opening the fuel door has never helped in increasing my temps. Given enough time it helps get unlit coals going, but I've found that losing all that heat out the door creates a virtual standoff. Never thought about lifting the lid. Sounds like it might work but I wonder if it just lets out as much heat as it creates. Lift 1, replace 2, lift 1, replace 2? Too much attention for my attention span /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I can run my WSM fine at 450* on two Weber chimneys of fully-lit Kingsford and a dry pan-- until I put any meat in the cooker, that is. I think it's always going to be a problem to cook at higher temps than 325-350* because refrigerator temp turkeys and rib roasts make such good heatsinks. Now a ring full of burning lump might be what it takes.

Thanks all for the replies...let me see if I can give some feedback to the questions...

Ed - it turned out fantastic!!! So very tender and just the right amount of smoke. The recipe says it can feed 1-2 people per pound - I had 6 people and we all but finished the 7+ pound roast! So if this is your choise, err on the conservative side and get a bigger hunk of meat than you expect to need! But it gets real pricey!

Paul - nope these aren't Weber chimneys - my old Weber finally broke and I had to replace it. I found some at Lowes for $5.89 and couldn't pass up that price so I got 2. But I haven't done a volume comparison - the packaging said they held 4 pounds per chimney.

Ed - the whole time I was going through this I was thinking "it's time for the BBQ Guru"

Keri - I'm cooking on a WSM - I saw a post about a week ago where someone mentioned adding another vent on the lid to allow more draft through the smoker - after cracking the lid this past weekend brought the temps up so high, so fast, I was thinking another vent may give more control then just cracking the lid.

Wayne - it wasn't windy at all...sorry, meant to post that because I know it is important.

Doug - I know the meat was cold, but I did let it stand for about 30 minutes at room temp prior to cooking - maybe that doesn't help all that much...

And finally, Russ...I didn't think of that but next time I'm doing a high temp cook, this may be the trick. I remember reading that once or twice before and it never struck me this time...oh well, live (or cook) and learn! Anyway BBQ Galore (the only place around with lump) wasn't open on Sunday anyway...there, now I feel better!

Thanks again to all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back