Problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took two butts out of the refrigerator to rub (Mr. Brown). When I opened the cryovac and separated the butts, I noticed that they were not 100% thawed. Approximately 1" in the center of the two weren't thawed.

Should I put them back until they are thawed? I went ahead and rubbed them and left them out. How long can I safely leave them out of the fridge?

I'd like to put them on the WSM sometime between 6 and 10 this evening. I don't have any particular time they need to be done by tomorrow, just replentishing my supply of pulled pork for sandwiches.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tom, that's a tough one ~ I wouldn't leave them out more than an hour or so, then put them back in the warmest part of the fridge (usually the top) and leave them seperated. Then maybe take them back out for an hour before starting, say 9 or 10pm. HTH

General food safety "rule of thumb" is that you should not leave any food in a temperature higher than 40 or lower than 140 for longer than 4 hours. I would apply the rub and refrigerate, then take out of the refrigerator about 4 hours before you actually want to start cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back