Problem with legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Hymers

I was moving my new 22 otg and the theard leg ( the on with no wheel) some how came lose and my grill can crashing down?

I moved it just a few feet and bag. I checked for damage but I did not see any then I put the leg back in and it is loose. It dose not seem to lock in place? And is it alittle wobbly now. I did not notes it wobbly befour when I built it?

Anyone els have the Same problem?

A few of mine have loose legs too. When I put them in a give them a quick twist and that seems to tighten them. If I'm moving it, I'll give all of the legs a quick twist to make sure they are all tight. I've had all 2 of the legs fall out at the same time before, disaster!

My uncle's old 22" OTS used to do that. After it dumped an entire pan of ash (cold) on the deck, I drilled a hole through the mount and put a sheet metal screw into it.

Mine were always a little loose and the ash catcher ring tabs never did lock into the slots too well.
I added 3 self tapping screws to mine.
Problem fixed.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

take on old broom stick or buy a new one , cut 24 inch piece , tap them in , then put three screws in ....never will wobble again

I had a crash too on a 18". It was on vacation at a rental cabin. Luckily we were done cooking.

The same thing happened to me about a month ago on my 22 OTG. Luckily the grill fell into the grass and nothing got chipped (except my shin!)

I make sure to be extra careful when I'm wheeling mine around now--I check the front leg out first. I think the idea of putting a screw or fastener in it is a good one. When did you get your grill? I've read that the newer ones seem to do this more. Mine is about 7-8 months old.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I added 3 self tapping screws to mine.
Problem fixed.
icon_smile.gif

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used self tapping screws on all of mine as well, with the same result as Tim!

For as common a problem, and a serious safety risk IMO, I am surprised that weber has not addressed it with an improved design that secures the leg (like a 1 cent sheet metal screw!)

When my tip happened, it dumped hot coals all over the ground next to my feet.

My tip wasn't from moving the grill, it was from the lid sticking to the bowl, and lifting the entire assembly up and one leg dropping down.

chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back