Probes

NeilHeuer

TVWBB Fan
I just finished two briskets on my FEC120 and I am very excited but I used my Stoker to log my cook. Of course the stoker broke down at the end of the cook - it wasn't available via the network. This isn't unusual with the stoker and I realized I haven't found a device a I like!

I have a heatermeter and which I could use it more but the probes stink and the length of the probe leads just aren't good. I've been watching the thermocouplers thread and watching the developmental thread in hopes of a final solution for a more robust probe.

So I am just venting (forgive the pun :) ) but trying to figure out how to make the heater meter my network connected monitoring device.

Thanks,

Neil

Well, for low and slow cooking I think the probes selection for the HM is fine, it's up in the high pizza temp range where I run into problems with the probes. You can get the Maverick probes with 6 foot cables, isn't that long enough?
What kind of probes does the stoker use? If they are resistance based thermistor probes you should be able to use them with the HM, the coefficients just need to be worked out. As for thermocouple support with the HM, I think Bryan is pretty close or may actually have arrived at a viable solution. I will be building up a HMv4.2 board next week to test out thermocouple support and will report back how it goes...

Last edited:
Well, for low and slow cooking I think the probes selection for the HM is fine, it's up in the high pizza temp range where I run into problems with the probes. You can get the Maverick probes with 6 foot cables, isn't that long enough?
What kind of probes does the stoker use? If they are resistance based thermistor probes you should be able to use them with the HM, the coefficients just need to be worked out. As for thermocouple support with the HM, I think Bryan is pretty close or may actually have arrived at a viable solution. I will be building up a HMv4.2 board next week to test out thermocouple support and will report back how it goes...

The probes are the larger jack for headphones and they have lights on them. It is very interesting and very different so probably won't work. I actually misplaced my heatermeter and need to look for it! :-o

Thanks,

Neil

Well, the major factor would be.... thermocouple or thermistor?
I read about the light, kinda neat I guess, but probably just an LED built into the plug wired to the third lead of a stereo jack. If it is a thermistor based probe you could easily make an adapter for it to mate with the Heater Meter (LED wont work though).

Well, the major factor would be.... thermocouple or thermistor?
I read about the light, kinda neat I guess, but probably just an LED built into the plug wired to the third lead of a stereo jack. If it is a thermistor based probe you could easily make an adapter for it to mate with the Heater Meter (LED wont work though).

Right I have no idea how to know or figure out without just asking the manufacturer.

I could get an adapter and test it I guess?

Edit: I just looked on their website and it says: Used to adapt K type thermocouples to the Stoker.

So I guess they are thermocouples?

Neil

From what I remember I think their probes are "smart" in that they can be mixed and matched in any hole on the stoker. I assume they're I2C bus devices or something like that that do the measurement in the probe rather than just being analog. If that's the case it would be hard to get them them working with HeaterMeter without some sort of adapter PCB.

From what I remember I think their probes are "smart" in that they can be mixed and matched in any hole on the stoker. I assume they're I2C bus devices or something like that that do the measurement in the probe rather than just being analog. If that's the case it would be hard to get them them working with HeaterMeter without some sort of adapter PCB.

I don't need to use them but they are nice. They have a 6 foot lead and there is a 10 foot option. I tried using extension cords for my probes and it just became a heavy tangled mess. I don't want to put my heatermeter on the roof of the FEC120 as it can get pretty warm.

Thanks,

Neil

I don't know what an FEC120 is, but you could always use the CAT5 option to run the blower, servo, and probes over one cable to the HM pretty much as long as you want it to be....

OK, well....
If you make a little metal plate with 4 probe jacks in it and mount it somewhere on the FEC120, then wire them to a CAT5 jack or cable, you can run the CAT5 cable to the HM as far as you need it, thus eliminating the need for the tangled mess of long probe leads.

Back