Probe Thermometer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Fellow Q'ers,

I am using my WSM for the first time today. I'm Q'ing 1 rack of Jerked spares and 1 small rack each of babys and spares with Oklahoma Joes Sweet and Spicy rub, using 3 smallish chunks of Pecan for the smoke (2"x3"x1"). I'm using the Minion method (All Hail Jim!!)and I got my dome temp to 250 in 45 minutes with meat and all. Not too shabby...

I'm using an Accu*Rite digital thermometer w/ attached probe to monitor internal WSM temp at the dome, inserting the probe through the top
vents of the cooker.

My question is this: Can I keep the probe in the top vent through the whole cooking process and will this damage the probe?

Thanks in advance,

DrSarcasmo

Thank you for the info and the encouragement, Bryan!! I'll be posting my jerk sauce recipe on the recipe forum later this evening. I've used it on grilled lamb chops, pork loin and chicken thighs, with the chicken being the best of the three, but the lamb a CLOSE second...: )

It's a variant of the recipe in Steve Raichlen's
BBQ Bible:Sauces, Rubs and Marinades book. The first time I made it, when I tasted the chicken,
my knees buckled. I kid you not! It was the best
chicken I've ever had, let alone cooked myself.
I'll let ya know how it works on ribs.

Thanks again Bro!

DrSarcasmo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Doc,
If you like it maybe you can post the recipe?
Jim[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You got it Jim! Recipe added to recipe forum.
Make sure ya let me know how ya like it...: )

DrSarcasmo

Well, my first time on my WSM was a success. My jerked ribs came out fantastic! The smoke flavor and the spices in the jerk sauce blended perfectly. The meat was fall off the bones tender and quite juicy. My baby backs and the smaller spares came out a wee bit dry though, but that's understandable as they were considerably smaller than my full set of spares.

Next time I'll smoke the same size rib racks and use 2 pecan chunks and 1 apple as opposed to 3 pecan chunks. The smoke flavor was wonderful but a wee bit overpowering on the Oklahoma Joes rubbed ribs. It was perfect for the jerked ribs.

Thank you all for the help and advice. This forum and Chris's Virtual Weber Bullet site are
a Godsend to a beginner Q'er!

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em...

DrSarcasmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back