Pro tip.....removing old school Weber emblem......

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Just one problem.....Im no pro.......oh well. So I have tinkered around with these dang old school emblems with the press on fittings and I have always been able to remove them but not with great precision and good form. Well I have finally conquered the beast. I will just get right to it......Note...I am talking about the old ones with the almost flat press on fittings. Gently tap a razor blade with a hammer under the fitting until it bottoms out on the post. Use the razor blade as your wedge to insert a small flat head screw driver under the fitting.....tap the screw driver with the hammer until it also bottoms out at the post..........now gently twist the screw driver to either bend or break the fitting. If it just bends a little......re set and do it one more time....they are very brittle and will just snap off. I used to use tiny screw drivers but they were tricky to get under the fitting..........the answer is the razor blade.....it gets ya in! Some might reply to be careful to not damage the inner hood....but worst case scenario if u do....its under the emblem. Personally I have moved up to a larger flat head screw driver so when I twist the tool I have a little leverage. See pics.
20210624_112032.jpg20210624_112037.jpg

I use a sharp wood chisel. Works well for me, but I wind up trashing the little push nuts every time. I use the high temp red RTV silicone to put the emblem back on.

I lighly tap the two studs with a hammer to give me some room under the retaining clips and then take a small screwdriver and wiggle the clips off the post. Takes less than 20 seconds.
If the clip does break no biggie, new ones are 15 cents each.

Jeff

Huh......funny we all have our own ways to get the pot of gold......I was just being too nice to those things before.

Jim, I agree. Kinda the same philosophy I use on those cross member cook box bolts that are always frozen.

Ya I have recently come across a couple of those where the manifold bar is seized to the box as well as the bolts being seized. I didnt have a back up box so seized bolts....seized manifold bar.........hmmmmmmm......tap tap tap with the hammer.............then use " The Bruce " with the impact gun nice and gentle............tap tap tap........hmmmmm.......then sometimes u just have to work around the problem. Or go ape sh$t on it and break stuff!

.......then sometimes u just have to work around the problem. Or go ape sh$t on it and break stuff!
t0sG1c6.jpg

Back