Primo Pure Servo control

So now that I've had a chance to put this together, here are some pics. The bracket was made from 1/8 in. aluminum plate. But the whole point was the magnetic shaft coupling....

I like it. I wonder if those servos have enough torque to operate a BGE damper. Mine is pretty 'stiff', I imagine because of its curvature where as that primo damper looks flat.

Last edited:
Since the Primo is oval there is a section that is flat but it starts to curve on the right hand side. The servo can only open it about half way. luckily that is more than enough for low and slow cooks. I can cook from 190 ish to maybe 450 ish with the travel I have. If I need to go hotter than 450 I probably don't need a PID to control it... Short hot cooks I tend to be standing there watching it any way.... I just set the servo settings so that it can't over travel and burn out the servo.

Servo pulse duration 1450 us - 1970 us fully open at 100% Invert output checked due to the orientation of the servo. I'm sure if I changed the linkage I could get a little more resolution from closed to open but it's working for now.

Edited... Looks like I can hit 450 with the travel I have....

Last edited:
For your BGE you could use something like this... http://www.robotshop.com/en/firgelli-technologies-l12-100-100-12-i.html#description

That would give you 4 in. of travel with a servo interface and quite a bit more torque than a servo could give. A bit more expensive than a servo.... (I think I paid $60 ish for my servo. I wish I would have seen this first. lol)

Servo City has both high power linear actuators (starting at 25lbs of thrust) as well as gear boxes that can dramatically increase the torque a regular servo can put out

https://www.servocity.com/html/robotzone_servos.html - these are "affordable"

https://www.servocity.com/html/linear_servos.html - these are not cheap.

I'm using one of these with no gear box and it's just fine: https://www.servocity.com/html/hs-645mg_ultra_torque.html#.VznaWRUrLGI they also have a waterproof version which I discovered after I had already bought mine which actually has slightly higher torque.

As mentioned it is completely fine in terms of range of motion for low/slow cooks.

This is a very interesting topic. What are the settings you use for the fan (that is not there) and the servo?
And which line in the web GUI represents the servo? I see output X% a dark blue line a light blue line and a yellow line.

And which line in the web GUI represents the servo? I see output X% a dark blue line a light blue line and a yellow line.
From the docs: "The current PID output percent is indicated by the size of the bar and the label. There may also be a lighter blue bar inside of the main bar indicating the current blower speed, if max fan speed isn't 100%. The exponential moving average of the fan speed is displayed as a translucent rectangle "pip" at the correct percentage." The servo position is not shown, you have to kinda know what your servo ceiling is and do the math yourself where the PID output is directly proportional to the servo position.

From the docs: "The current PID output percent is indicated by the size of the bar and the label. There may also be a lighter blue bar inside of the main bar indicating the current blower speed, if max fan speed isn't 100%. The exponential moving average of the fan speed is displayed as a translucent rectangle "pip" at the correct percentage." The servo position is not shown, you have to kinda know what your servo ceiling is and do the math yourself where the PID output is directly proportional to the servo position.

damn, read all the GUI things, searched on GUI things. completely missed this one. makes sense now. so I can assume the light blue one will be the real fan speed. the dark blue one the PID percentage. and IF the servo is connected to a long enough lever so it can fully open and close.
The yellow line is the average blower speed, right?

Last edited:
Yup exactly right! It is easy to miss some things in the documentation because, let's face it, there is a LOT of documentation. Sometimes I am even surprised by things I see in there.

Back