Prime Rib Internal Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

TVWBB Member
I did a beautiful prime rib on the WSM last night! I've done it before on my grill, but this is my first attempt on the WSM and it turned out almost perfect.

It wasn't perfect because I cooked it to an internal temp of 150, which was just a little too done. I'm using Weber's remote probe (which I wouldn't recommend) which calls 145 medium rare and 160 medium.

Where I come from medium = pink with a hot center and medium rare = red with a warm center. If I had cooked it to 160, it would have been well done by my book. As it was, 150 resulted in what I would call medium well: light pink hot center.

Next time I do this, I'm going to shoot for a 145 temp. But I'm wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for the right temp to get that bright pink, hot center?

Grim

Personely I shoot for 125 to 127 when I pull it off the cooker, You can also cook hotter than normal which will give you a greater range of doneness (not sure that's a word). The outside more towards med and up but the center will be rare.
Jim

Hi Grim,

I'm curious about how you cooked your prime rib... What kind of charcoal/lump, pit temp, smoke wood, if any, etc.

Thanks,

Bill,

The first thing I did is score the meat on all sides in a diamond pattern. Then I took Lawry's and rubbed it very generously on all sides of the beef. I've tried several different rubs, but if you've ever actually eaten prime rib at the Lawry's restaurant, you know it's worth trying to reproduce their results.

I fired up the WSM with 2 full chimneys of Kingsford. It was around 30 degrees outside, but the temp of the cooker was a little over 300. Top vent and one bottom vent all the way open. The other two vents were about 50%. That kept it at about 300 the whole cook.

I used 3 soaked hickory chunks about the size of limes and put those on one at a time throughout the cook. This gave a great smoke ring and a fantastic taste that wasn't overpowering.

It took about 2 1/2 hours finish. I don't remember the size of the meat, but it was enough to feed 4-6 people (6 if you eat a non supersized portion, but why would you want to do that?).

Grim,

125 max.! I use the most accurate therm I have, don't want to screw up that piece of meat. I then loosely foil it and let it rest at least 20 minutes. Usually rises to about 130. Gives great med rare in the center with varying degrees of MR to MED out to the edge.

There was a recipe not too long ago in Cook's about how to cook a prime rib and have it a nice med. rare all the way.

Jim, they do suggest cooking at a low temp. around 200°. But before putting in the oven, or smoker, they browned it all over in a hot cast iron pan. Just for color.

They took it off at 130° for med rare. Also, when cooked at 200° there will be almost no rise in internal temps after resting.

I have cooked prime rib this way and it is excellent.

The other thing that I do is to dry age the prime rib for a week before cooking. This really makes a difference in the floavor of the meat.

Al

Jim,

If I wanted MR all the ay through I would just pull at a lower temperature perhaps 120 and let it rise to 125.

It will be tough to get MR the closer you get to the edges. MED just pull at 130, there might be a tinge of pink, but nothing that's going to offend anyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
... there might be a tinge of pink, but nothing that's going to offend anyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL! You haven't met my wife!!

I thank all for their input! Good info here
icon_cool.gif

I like cooking at a higher temp cause I have family members that want anything from rare to med well. If you cook at a higher temp the outside pieces will be closer to med, low end of med well but there is plenty of med rare to rare for everyone else.
Cooking at a lower tmp does give you same say med all the way through.
Greating and fun to cook.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back