Prime Rib Eyes

Doug LaFleur

TVWBB Member
I'm picking up a Performer Thursday and one of the first things I want to do is to grill some 2.5 inch rib eyes. Have had good sucess with my gasser but am uncertain as to the best procedure on a charcoal pit. I'm thinking about searing the steaks over white hot coals for 5 to 7 minutes a side with the lid off, then finish them off with indirect heat with the lid on. Does anyone have a better procedure? Comments and suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

That's essentially what I do. I bank the coals very high on the direct side and sear there (but not for 5-7 min, more like 2 min, then quarter turn then for 2 min more; flip for 4; finish indirect. I cover during direct though.

To sear succesfully, you need your grate to get and keep as high heat as possible. That's why searing over CI is better because the CI retain its heat better than the normal wire cooking grate that comes on a Performer. Some people have searing grates that fit into a cutout in the other grate. Other place a CI or PCI grate on top of the other. You might want to consider that.

It's a trade off on whether to sear with the lid on or off. Weber suggests searing with it off because the coals gets more air and therefore gets hotter. However with the lid off you're constantly losing heat. I usually have the lid on with my Performer, but honestly, I usually cook my steaks on my Genesis Silver B with PCI grates.

A 2.5" ribeye is a very thick hunk of meat. You'll definitely need a good indirect area on the grill to finish or you'll end up with severly charred steaks. If you have an instant digital therm I would use it to check the internal temp for doneness.

Have a great cook.

Paul

Back