Prime Rib/ Boneless RIB Eye

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. The roast was a little early (I think because the wsm was running a little warmer than expected) but I just let it rest for awhile longer than I intended, no biggy. The YPs were great, but they fell before I got them to the table. Everyone still enjoyed them though.

Bryan...if you're looking for cheap (well, relatively cheap) card seed try indian markets. I've seen both the whole pods and seeds there at great prices.

P.

First i'd like to thank Mr Minion for posting this recipe. Second, thanks Phil for the tip on the Card. We have Root's Country Market here (only open on Tuesday) and there's some really nice spice stands there. I'll check for it there.
Since i didn't have the card here's what i did.

A 6.5 lb Bone in Rib Eye Roast

Rub
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to coat
8-10 Cloves of garlic crushed and minced fine.

Marinade
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp Paprika
3/4 Cup Lite Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Vinegar
1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

Into a 2 gal zip bag for about 14-16 hrs turing every couple of hrs. I roasted it on the WSM @250 over Ozark Oak Lump with 2 pieces of cherry and one Oak chunk till 120 internal. Removed the bones and sliced the roast into steaks 3/4"-1" range which yieled 5 nice steaks. Poured the remaining marinaed over them left sit about 10 min while i broke the WSM down and set it up to grill ontop of the charcoal bowl till med done. Also grilled up some Portabelo mushrooms to go along with the steaks. Wife and kids loved the steaks. IMO they were fantastic.
icon_smile.gif

I would like to try this recipe tomorrow but I am a little nervous.

I have done the herb encrusted prime rib and really enjoyed it. I would like to try something different, but I am not familiar with cardamom.
I went to an Indian grocery store and got green and also black cardamom ....which would I use?? The guy at the store was hard to understand but I believe he said the black was hot ??

Has anyone tried both of these recipes, and if so what was your preference. I am cooking for company and am always a little nervous to try something new out when doing so.

Help...............please.

Fear not! Yes, everyone says never do new things with guests coming but I always do. Makes it exciting. (Just never be too explicit ahead of time about what to expect lest an errant idea needs to be re-thought or re-worked at the last moment!
icon_smile.gif
)

I'm a big fan of cardamom. Not much is used in Jim's recipe (not much is needed as it is full-flavored). I'd be inclined to use both green and black (the black has a nice smoky tone to it but neither are hot; both are pungent). Are both whole pods with seeds inside? Or just the seeds? Or ground already?

Both are whole pods with the seeds in them. The black ones are bigger than the green ones though. The guy told me it makes a really nice tea as well.

I'd suggest 1/2-1 t of ground green seeds (pop open the pods to remove the seeds and discard the pods) and 2 whole black pods lightly crushed. Use the ground green for the rub step; toss the crushed black pods in the Ziploc with the other ingredients for the marinating step. (I'd go with Jim's suggestion and use 1 t of granulated garlic.)

Different cardamoms are used alone or with other ingredients as or in teas, and different ones are used as coffee flavoring as well. It is used in many Indian spice blends (especially the green; the black is usually used a bit differently) and the black is prized in Africa, especially in the cuisines of the north, central and eastern regions. In western and northern Europe cardamom is used more often in desserts.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's a good one.

I'm doing this one again for Christmas. Been waiting a whole year to do it again. I'm going to dry age the rib roast this time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Erik G:
Bryan, how do you dry age your meat? Are you following the Alton Brown method?

Erik
Erik, That's the method I'm going to try. Weis Markets here has Angus rib roasts for $4.97 a lb this week. This will be my first time dry aging.

I tried Alton Brown's method last year. If I remember correctly, there was no discernable difference in taste dry aging in the frig. I don't know if this is due to the relative high humidity in the frig. or temperature fluctuations from opening and closing the door or the motor going on and off. It might also be do to the fact that the recipe states to dry age for only 3 days (if I remember correctly).

One way of knowing for certain is to check the weight of the meat after sitting in the frig. for a few days to see if there is any water loss.

Either way, I probably wouldn't try it again.

Erik

Sounds great, going to get me one today. I here you can buy absinthe (sp) in the USA now. Im searching, shopping like a mad man today.

Has anyone tried browning a rib roast first before smoking it? (I also asked this question on another forum here, wasn't sure of the best place for it, sorry for the double post)
Joe Healy

Originally posted by Joe Healy:
Has anyone tried browning a rib roast first before smoking it? (I also asked this question on another forum here, wasn't sure of the best place for it, sorry for the double post)
Joe Healy
Joe, I smoke it first then char it up.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Healy:
Joe Healy
Joe, I smoke it first then char it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a winner to me. I'm doing a rib roast for my Mom and Dad on Christmas Day. Not prime, but our Safeway has a great Meat Department, and I've been very happy with Rancher's Reserve Meat. Happy Holidays to all.

Steve

Back