Prime Rib/ Boneless RIB Eye

My entire kitchen smells of this marinade. lol
The cardomom was expensive but what an aroma it gives off. Im cooking a ham, and a 5 lb rib roast sometime today. i went with the smaller roast since my wife doesnt really like steak, or anything good for that matter, and my in laws eat like birds. I need to find uses for the cardomom. Waste not.

Quick story: I just knew we had soy sauce, we always do, but we are out and i learned this at 1 am last night. We keep a container full of odd condiments and FYI it takes many, many little packages of soy sauce to make 3/4 cup.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
i went with the smaller roast since my wife doesnt really like steak, or anything good for that matter, and my in laws eat like birds.

So where did I go wrong? My wife eats like a trucker, and my inlaws have to taste everything and anything they can get their hands on when they visit. What's the saying about bad luck is the only luck I have?
Just joking. My wife is wonderful to put up with me. My Inlaws? Eh!

I overcooked the roast. The probe thermometer said it was 127 and there is no way that it was right. It was more like 140-145. Tossed the thermo. Ate the so so roast. Im picky about what I serve and I burnt this one. The ham was better. Better luck next time.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I overcooked the roast. The probe thermometer said it was 127 and there is no way that it was right. It was more like 140-145. Tossed the thermo. Ate the so so roast. Im picky about what I serve and I burnt this one. The ham was better. Better luck next time.
Dale, Sorry to hear it didn't turn out well for you. 140-145 is in my range and I would have loved it (not a mooing fan). Besides it being overcooked for you, did you like the taste? I really like this recipe for rib roasts.

The taste was really good, but when I said 140-145, that was before resting and the internal temps rose a probable 10 degrees. Almost WELL done.
Kinda tough too. My wife tried it and said, "I think its good, I like mine burnt".
Oh the agony!

On edit: I will use this recipe again, but not until I get another thermo.

thanks Jim & Brian.

Bryan, did you ever have the chance to try that dry age method mentioned by Alton Brown? What did you think of the results?

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
Bryan, did you ever have the chance to try that dry age method mentioned by Alton Brown? What did you think of the results?

Erik
No I didn't get to do it.

Dale, here's a recipe I invented that uses some cardomom; not a lot, mind you, but I make this often enough that I go through the jar in a reasonable amount of time (you add the cardomom to the rice as it's cooking; I find the flavored rice tastes excellent with the curried chicken dumped on top):

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breasts (here after referred to as "Pamelas"*)
1 med-lrg onion
a couple cloves of garlic, crushed (one can never have enough garlic)
1 - 28oz can of crushed tomatos
1 lime
1+ Tbsp curry powder (more or less to taste; I don't measure, I just dump some in)
pepper
garlic salt
2 Tbsp olive oil

Take the lime and from one half slice off the Arctic Circle, the Tropic of Cancer, and the Equator. Put these on the side. Use the balance of the lime in gin and tonics for you and your bride. Warm the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cut the Pamelas into roughly 1-inch chunks, sprinkle with a little garlic salt and pepper, and start them cooking in the oil. Chop the onion and add it to the pan, stirring it and the Pamelas frequently to make sure they get cooked. Add the garlic. Add a little more. When the onions are clear and the Pamelas are no longer pink add the crushed tomatos and the curry powder and stir it in. Add the lime slices and gently stir them below the surface. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove lime slices before serving.

We always have this on top of rice, which is convenient because the rice takes 25 minutes as well, so you put the rice on when you add the crushed tomatos, etc. I add a little cardamom to the rice as it's cooking as the flavor goes very well with the curry.

I've also started using a 50/50 blend of curry with garam masala, which I find adds a nice flavor.

*You don't really need an explanation for this, do you?

Once again.... my hat is off to the fine people of this message board.

Due to some family health issues, my wife and I were having my parents and her mother for dinner last night. I thought it would be a nice night for a good roast. I picked up a 5lb prime rib at the butcher and followed Jim's initial recipe. While I didn't have overnight, I did get a good 10hrs of marinade time.

I knew I didn't have time for a true "low and slow", so I was planning on starting around 300 and aiming for 275-285 for the balance. Since I have had some issues with how hot my charcoal has been, I decided to start with a half chimney of briq and a half ring of unlit lump. BOY am I glad i didn't use a whole chimney. The temp quickly rose to 300 when i put the vent back to 50% it settled down fast around 325 (lid). For the rest of the cook it was easy to maintain the 275-285 grate temp i was wanting. I put the roast on the top rack to start and threw in one chunk of red oak and 2 pieces of apple limb wood (1" diameter, 3"long).

After about 1.5 hrs I moved the roast to the bottom rack and threw a couple dozen ABT's on the top. The roast hit 125 internal after a little over 2.5 hrs cooking time.... beautiful rare (but not very bloody).

The flavour was AMAZING. Everyone absolutely loved it. Even my wife who's getting tired of smoked pork was impressed. The smoke got right inside but wasn't overpowering and the marinade was really tasty too without overshadowing the meat.

Thanks again... I wish I took pic's... maybe I'll shoot the leftovers today!! haha

**on a side note... what a pain it is getting those Cardamom seed out of the green pods!!

Not sure how large an area is covered by the sale, but Albertson's has rib roast for 4.88/lb. right now in the Dallas area. They also have pork shoulders for 99 cents/lb.

One question about Jim's technique. You press on the cardamom/pepper before marinating. Since your turning/handling the roast during the marinade process, doesn't this wash off the rub? Is there any difference if you would simply add to the marinade?

Probably not for the cardamom, possibly for the cracked pepper which, since if pressed well it adheres well, doesn't really come off the meat much as you are only rotating.

OK, I hope it is permissible to use this post for my own questions. My dilemma is I am cooking dinner for 12 tomorrow. Nervous. Prime grade prime rib first cut - 4 bones - 2 each and only one will fit in oven. The one in the oven will cook exactly as per this link (with short video) from Cook's Illustrated:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?doci...code=atkSearchCenter

The second I am going to use the low and slow method from front page of this site from the "dry aged" recipe. I intend to use the Montreal Method to season the roast (because my wife chose it). I do have apple, cherry and oak (and most others) but I was thinking of using a few small chucks of apple only. Then (since the oven is occupied) I will sear the meat and obtain the crust via my WEBER Gas S-420 grill over indirect - I hope I can maintain 500 degrees with two burners. The other factor is we have snow and tomorrow (hopefully no wind) but a high of about 25 degrees (f). And finally, dinner is at 5:00pm.

I have a few questions:

(1) I was thinking of using 1 full Weber chimney and 1 lit (deviation from recipe). Is that OK?

(2) Do you agree with my wood choice?

(3) The recipe took 4 1/2 hrs plus the sear and rest - do I need to adjust my time for outside temperature?

(4) My biggest problem overall is everything finishing at the same time. I should have a buddy to help drink beer - I mean help cook but if I need to can I back the time up a bit like a brisket or shoulder and wrap and stick in cooler?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully provide sage advice - I must go a shovel snow for a while. Merry Christmas to all and God bless you and the US Military.

1. No, probably not. If you want to low/slow then set it up for low/slow: Minion the start. If cold out start with more lit than usual and/or warm or hot water in the pan, but the effort here is to ease into the cook, not start at higher temps that will then need reduction. You want to save the higher temps for the finish.

2. Yes.

3. No. Time would be adjusted based on variations in roast size, internal temp before cooking, and actual cooktemps.

4. That depends on how long you want to hold. The problem here is that prime rib, depending how it is cooked, can easily continue to cook during holding, especially if wrapped--and especially after a finishing sear. You can add a delay, if needed, between the time the roast hits your target internal and is removed from the cooker and the time you put it in the oven for its finishing sear. And you can elongate the rest period after searing, somewhat, by simply waiting longer before slicing, if you need more time.

Originally posted by Mark Powell:
OK, I hope it is permissible to use this post for my own questions. My dilemma is I am cooking dinner for 12 tomorrow. Nervous. Prime grade prime rib first cut - 4 bones - 2 each and only one will fit in oven. The one in the oven will cook exactly as per this link (with short video) from Cook's Illustrated:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?doci...code=atkSearchCenter

The second I am going to use the low and slow method from front page of this site from the "dry aged" recipe. I intend to use the Montreal Method to season the roast (because my wife chose it). I do have apple, cherry and oak (and most others) but I was thinking of using a few small chucks of apple only. Then (since the oven is occupied) I will sear the meat and obtain the crust via my WEBER Gas S-420 grill over indirect - I hope I can maintain 500 degrees with two burners. The other factor is we have snow and tomorrow (hopefully no wind) but a high of about 25 degrees (f). And finally, dinner is at 5:00pm.

I have a few questions:

(1) I was thinking of using 1 full Weber chimney and 1 lit (deviation from recipe). Is that OK?

(3) The recipe took 4 1/2 hrs plus the sear and rest - do I need to adjust my time for outside temperature?

(4) My biggest problem overall is everything finishing at the same time. I should have a buddy to help drink beer - I mean help cook but if I need to can I back the time up a bit like a brisket or shoulder and wrap and stick in cooler?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully provide sage advice - I must go a shovel snow for a while. Merry Christmas to all and God bless you and the US Military.

Let me take a stab, this is a tough one because your reference requires one to register and sign up for a paid service or trial. I would have loved to take the time to read through the reference but got lazy. Just not ready to sign up for another paid service, etc. Maybe you can summarize the data?

I want to say YES, of course it's OK. It's really going to only impact initial ramp heat, and then overall baseline cook temps in that you will need to either accept the higher baseline temps or know how to cut back early to regulate. Overall - shouldn't matter if you know the max average temp you are shooting for and you are confident about fire control. The method you mention, in short will push temps higher early in the cook and/or affect the baseline overall temp.

For beef - I don't get excited about apple as a wood choice. I would suggest oak or hickory. For a standing rib roast. Keep the amount of smoke to a minimum unless you like heavy smoke flavor. Choice or Prime standing RR have great flavor of their own. Over smoking masks it IMHO. Use a good lump for the cook (NO COWBOY for this one please). It adds it's own subtle flavor and smoke. If you want to go a little heavier throw in a few chunks of oak or hickory, but don't overload it.

My experience with the WSM is that outside temps have no real affect. Wind/draft does. If you expect to experience a windy day and your WSM is unprotected from the air currents make sure you are air tight (aluminum foil gasket between the mid section and the fire pit if you are leaky). Or make sure you have a wind break of some sort.

You don't need to be too concerned about cook time overall if you are willing to pull and push the roast into a 400 to 450 deg oven. So plan on a "reverse sear", IOW don't sear or cook at 450 first as most techniques or recipes will tell you. Plan on doing a high temp finish. This gives you the "out" if things aren't finishing fast enough. You can pull the roast push it into a preheated oven and push it to the finish cook temps. Works great. If the overall cook was completed on the WSM over lump/wood you will be just fine and there will be no overall difference in quality. You will already have the flavor benefits.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

Thanks for the replies. First of all I wanted to publish the recipe from Cook's Illustrated while I process the rest of data. I have used this recipe twice and my foodie friends DEMAND it unchanged every year. Regardless, Monday I will place a followup and hopefully pix. Thanks again. Hope I'm not breaking any laws for R Benash:
Prime Rib Roast Beef with Jus
Serves 10 to 12. Published November 1, 2002.

Ask the butcher to cut the meat off the ribs, but make sure to keep the ribs because the meat is tied back onto them for roasting. Letting the roast stand at room temperature for 2 hours before roasting helps it cook evenly. Plan on removing the roast from the refrigerator about 5 1/2 hours before serving.

Ingredients
1 first-cut beef rib roast (ribs 9 through 12, about 8 pounds), meat removed from bone, ribs reserved, patted dry
1 1/2 pounds oxtails
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 medium onions , cut into eigths
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
kosher salt (preferably) or table salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 cup red wine , medium-bodied, such as Côtes du Rhône
1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 sprigs fresh thyme

Instructions
1. Remove roast and ribs from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 2 hours. After an hour, adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Rub oxtails with tomato paste and place in heavy-bottomed, burner-safe roasting pan. Toss onions with 1 tablespoon oil, then scatter onions in roasting pan. Roast until oxtails and onions are browned, about 45 minutes, flipping oxtails halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and set roasting pan with oxtails aside; reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees.

2. When roast has stood at room temperature 2 hours, heat heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, rub ends and fat-side of roast with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 3/4 teaspoon table salt) and pepper. Place roast fat-side down in skillet and cook until well-browned, 12 to 15 minutes; using tongs, stand roast on end and cook until well-browned, about 4 minutes. Repeat with other end. Do not brown side where ribs were attached. Place roast browned-side up on cutting board and cool 10 minutes. Following illustration 1 below, tie browned roast to ribs. Set roast bone-side down in roasting pan (see illustration 2), pushing oxtails and onions to sides of pan. Roast 1 hour, then remove from oven and check internal temperature; center of roast should register about 70 degrees on instant-read thermometer. (If internal temperature is higher or lower, adjust total cooking time.) Return roast to oven, and prepare Yorkshire pudding batter now (if making), and cook 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours longer, until center of meat registers about 122 degrees for rare to medium-rare or about 130 degrees for medium-rare to medium (see illustration 3) . Transfer roast to cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees for Yorkshire pudding.

3. While roast rests, spoon off fat from roasting pan, reserving 3 tablespoons for Yorkshire puddings; set roasting pan aside while preparing puddings for baking. While puddings bake, set roasting pan over 2 burners at high heat. Add wine to roasting pan; using wooden spoon, scrape up browned bits and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add beef broth, chicken broth, and thyme. Cut twine on roast and remove meat from ribs; re-tent meat. Add ribs, meaty side down, to roasting pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by two-thirds (to about 2 cups), 16 to 20 minutes. Add any accumulated beef juices from meat and cook to heat through, about 1 minute longer. Discard ribs and oxtails; strain jus through mesh strainer into gravy boat, pressing on onions to extract as much liquid as possible.

4. Set meat browned-side up on board and cut into 3/8 -inch-thick slices; sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve immediately, passing jus separately.

Individual Yorkshire Puddings
Serves 12. Published November 1, 2002.

Prepare the Yorkshire pudding batter after the beef has roasted for 1 hour, then, while the roast rests, add beef fat to the batter and get the puddings into the oven. While the puddings bake, complete the jus. An accurate oven temperature is key for properly risen puddings, so check your oven with an oven thermometer before making this recipe. Work quickly to fill the muffin tin with batter, and do not open the oven door during baking.

Ingredients
3 large eggs , at room temperature
1 1/2 cups whole milk , at room temperature
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons beef fat

Instructions
1. Whisk eggs and milk in large bowl until well combined, about 20 seconds. Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl and add to egg mixture; whisk quickly until flour is just incorporated and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Cover batter with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.

2. After removing roast from oven, whisk 1 tablespoon of beef fat into batter until bubbly and smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer batter to 1-quart liquid measuring cup or other pitcher.

3. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of remaining 2 tablespoons beef fat into each cup of standard muffin pan. When roast is out of oven, increase temperature to 450 degrees and place pan in oven to heat for 3 minutes (fat will smoke). Working quickly, remove pan from oven, close oven door, and divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Immediately return pan to oven. Bake, without opening oven door, for 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Remove pan from oven and pierce each pudding with skewer to release steam and prevent collapse. Using hands or dinner knife, lift each pudding out of tin and serve immediately.

Hey Mark - we don't need no steennking rules!
icon_smile.gif

Good luck! BTW I've used that recipe a couple times in the past. Excellent. Only difference is that I cooked mine on a horizontal (didn't have the WSM then) and didn't remove the ribs as the last part of the process, kept them tied to the roast.

Back