Prime Brisket Cook Revisited

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
This is just a follow up on an earlier string:

Cooking Prime Brisket

Cooked two more up on Friday night. Got started later than intended (fell asleep on the couch). Similar cook, one was injected the other was left uninjected. I also tried something a little different with the rub application by not putting it on until right before they went out. Used lump w/ oak and a little hickory for smoke.

I paid particular attention to keep this cook at a 210 (grate) temperature. I usually don't track grate temps, but did this time, just to make sure my assumptions were still valid. Dome temps of 220-225 kept me at 205-215 grate. One interesting thing I noted was the top and bottom grate equalized in only about an hour. After that the top grate was about 2 degrees COOLER than the bottom grate. That's w/in measurement errors, so no worries.

They went on at about 1:30am (told you i got started late). Kids woke me at 6:30, temps still doing good. At about 9:00a, the temperature battle started. It dropped, and i kept adjusting. It was a little more challenging keeping a 210 temp. than a 250 temp. I hold 250 for long period, 210 required more management.

After the briskets were on about 13 hours, they had reached about 170-175. I foiled at that point...just intuition more than anything. Took 'em about another 2 hours to get to the 190 point, and a tenderness to pull.

RESULTS - the non injected brisket was PERFECT tenderness and perfect juiciness. THe injected one could have cooked just a little longer. The lower temperature worked. I was shocked at the juiciness of the non-injected brisket. I've never been able to attain that in the past. Thanks for the advice Jim, Kevin, and all!!

Joe,
Sounds tasty, what time is lunch?
I've noticed the same with a few briskets I've done at home since the comp season ended. Keeping the temps low really seams to make for a juicy, tender brisket. I have not tried prime brisket yet but got similar results with choice briskets from Sams.
I havent had trouble with the temps though. My WSM seem to want to run at ~210F. But thats with the old Kingsford, not lump.
Did you have to battle rain all night? It poured up hear almost all night.

Now we just need to be able to dupilcate this at a comp.

Kirk

Joe
Good to see that you find the same results we get, always nice when a plan comes together.

Kirk
Try to find some DuraFlame or Royal Oak briquets, I think you will like the results, you will be able to maintain pit temps and lenght of burns like you got with Kingsford.
Jim

Joe-

Good Results thanks for the update. Did you have to battle the Rain last night?
I have also used Royal Oak lump on my last 5 cooks and noticed the pit requiring more attention to keep a 220 temp. Expecally my overnight cook.

One more things where are you finding OAK wood in our area.

Thanks.

Rick

Rick - I actually cooked on Friday night. Didn't start raining until Sat about 10:00a. I was lazy and put the cooker under the gazebo, so it stayed dry. With the balmy 48 degrees we had, I sat right next to the cooker, sipped a beer, and listen to those guys cook for about 45 minutes.

I got my oak wood from Dave Munson...who posts here from time to time...he lives down by Peoria. Try golf courses, they might have some.

Back