Primal Grill - got my tix for traveling Road Show!

Hey Ron, I was ready to purchase two tickets when liz remembered she has a big sale going on that day at her store... so....
I'm thinking I'll just go alone and stand in back a heckle Steven
icon_biggrin.gif

I do not have a ticket yet, I'll let you know before hand if I'm going. perhaps we could hook up downtown.

That'd be cool Jim -

PM Me if you decide to go - I'm going "Lone Wolf" too.
(Or, I'll just look for the guy in the Badger flip-flops.....)

I'm going to try to sneak out of work a little early, but I'll still have to hustle to get there. Maybe catch a brewski somewhere afterwards. I've been dying to check-out the Hoffbrau Haus on old world 3rd Street - near Mader's / Usinger's.

It was a fun and informative talk.

Steve had a fun time putting jabs at the local weather - he left Arizona the night before and the demo/talk was in an outdoor semi-permanent expo tent at the Milwaukee lakefront, at a balmy 51°F (as in frickin' cold for June - even in Wisconsin).

Steve presented some information on:

-Origins of live-fire cooking
(he had a few interesting notes from researchers on archeology / evolution)
-Some strories from his travels while researching his latest book
-For a cooking demo, he made "Cave Man T-Bones"
(cooked by laying them directly ON the coals - for a "sauce" he sauteed some thinly-sliced jalapenos, garlic, and cilantro in a cast iron pan with olive oil, then dumped-over the rested steaks - the smell was outstanding)
-Some Q&A discussing equipment & techniques at all levels

Got a signed copy of "Planet Barbeque" - this book is really cool. It's more than a cook book, it has stories and examples about how passionate people are in different countries about the stuff that they cook and their techniques. I started reading through it, and noted that if I wanted to "tab" stuff that I would like to try, I would end up tabbing about 3/4 of the whole book.

If you want to expand your "International Repertoire", or are getting bored of the same old (but still good) stuff on the grill - give this book a try.

I credit Steven Raichlen with getting me started in all culinary arts. It started with a copy of "How to Grill" when I wanted to learn more than just flipping burgers and the occasional steaks. The book is awesome in all the different ways that food can be prepared.

Everything of his that I've tried has turned out really well, and I truly enjoy his shows for the way he demonstrates grilling from around the world. He doesn't look like the kind of guy you'd expect to be a grillmaster, but looks can be deceiving. He's even trained in French literature.

I'd love to see him in person if he comes to Austin.

Back