Price for Apple Wood

Andrew S. B.

TVWBB Member
I'm looking to buy some apple wood for smoking. http://www.Barbequewood.com has 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) of apple wood on sale for $24 (about 25lbs it says) from $39. Shipping is $14 dollars here to Southern California, making it almost $40 for a box of apple wood. Is that a good deal ($1.50 a lbs shipped)? I really don't want to spend $40 on just smoking wood.

Does anyone know somewhere in Southern California i could go and get Apple wood?

Andrew

Cabela's has smoking wood for $8.99 for 10 pounds, with a very reasonable price based S&H charge for three bags.

Clausen

I wanted to order a box each of cherry and apple from Cabela's. Over the course of the past few weeks, one or the other of the two has been out of stock, with a projected restock time of 2-3 weeks. Earlier this week, I saw that both were on backorder status, but allegedly for only about 1 week. I said what the heck, and ordered a box of each on a backorder basis. Then it tells me if I want to backorder them, the minimum is two boxes of each. It didn't make any sense, so I called them. The woman I spoke to said it was because they have a $15 per item minimum to backorder something, but put me on hold and came back to say she could do a box of each. Pretty crazy, I thought-- to have to order twice as much as I want for the "privilege" of waiting longer for it? As stated above, though, the shipping is very reasonable-- a little over $6, in my case.

Doug I ordered two bags of apple a few weeks ago from Cabelas along with Cherry and Alder. My so called backorder for apple arrived one day after I got the others.

For those of you who have recieved orders from Cabelas, how would you rate their quality? I'm kinda picky about buying a bag of wood CHUNKS and receiving half a back of chunks and half a bag of chips. Thanks for any info, that 10# bag of cherry looks mighty tempting!!!

Jay,

There are some good sized chunks, some med size, smaller size and yes, what you would call chips.
I liken their product to what you would get in a bag of lump charcoal. More good sized chunks though.

I go to this place in Los Angeles.

California Charcoal & Firewood
(323) 780-6000 1518 S Eastern Ave
Los Angeles, CA

They sell wood to the resturants and have all types of wood and charcoal. I don't know if they have lump.

I bought a few bags last time I visited. The wood is mostly logs. So you will have to find a way to make them smaller. Power miter saw to cut the logs into 3 inch lengths and then an axe to break them up is how I do it.

Back