Preventing Mold while Curing

Aaron Patterson

Hi,

This is my second attempt at dry curing meats! I'm trying to make a salami. During my first attempt, I would get mold growing on the casings, so every once in a while I would wipe off with vinegar. This time, I added a fan to my curing box in hopes that it would curb mold growth. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting mold growing.

Here's what I've done to try and prevent mold growth:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Make sure the curing box was disinfected
<LI>Use distilled water in my humidifier
<LI>Run a fan at high speeds during fermentation
[/list]

I'm also running an air cleaner in the same room. I think I *might* need a more powerful fan, but despite all of these actions I'm still getting mold growth.

Does anyone have hints or suggestions?

Here is a picture of my setup. Sorry for the lighting. My fan is mounted in the back and it's kind of difficult to see.

20120519-mpkbjg7btc1xt58i589shf2xgg.jpg

Also, sorry about the colors in this photo. The white balance is a little off and I didn't want to retake them. :-/

20120519-jm5pa9ycrhbaanuumkk79xh2ac.jpg

Anyway, thanks in advance!

What's your %rh? And temp?low 60's?
Green mold grows when cooler and humid. May want lower humidity if The fan doesnt do the trick.
Potassium sorbate solution would work as well.

I have sensor set to 80%, but I'll see it fluctuate between 80% to 85%. I've got the temperature at 60F, but it fluctuates as well.

I'll try lowering the humidity a bit and increasing the fan speed. Thanks for your help!

Have you already fermented?
If so I think 80% is a bit high and I would drop it to 68-70%
You shouldnt see it again...but make sure you get if off your salami since it will impart an undesirable flavor for sure.

No prob!
I'll be coming to you to learn how to make a nice chamber like that so I can make some at home!
I have access to all the materials from work to make salami,etc. but I want to make certain kinds at home....I really enjoy the artisan salamis covered in white mold

Aaron you would do better by innoculating with beneficial white mold rather than playing defense against wild molds. You can buy the proper mold as a culture ie bactoferm mold-600, or you may harvest it from a commercial salami. I'm happy to answer any questions you have later when not posting from my phone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you would do better by innoculating with beneficial white mold rather than playing defense against wild molds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely agree. Still not having a "proper" curing chamber I've never had any issues since using the bactoferm 600.

Thanks Steve! I'm happy to post details about my setup.

Dave and Marc, thanks for the recommendation. I've definitely been interested in inoculating the surface with mold. I guess I considered that an "advanced" technique. This is my second attempt at curing, so I figured I would try a few more times before using the mold culture. Given your input, I'll give it a try on my next batch.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

If you don't want to pay for the commercial culture you can harvest skin from a white salami. These artisan salumi with skin on are not available in corporate groceries here in Colorado at least but one can find them at specialty markets.

Boil & cool a pot of water, add sugar to dissolve, and add the skin, wait 12 hours, and spoon it over your sausages at fermentation.

Great suggestions guys!
Penicillium Nalgiovence(white mold) is a very good idea and will actually impart a really great flavor to your salami. The mold protects the surface from collapsing if your parameters are to aggressive as well as breaks down the lactic acid that the culture creates to lower the pH during fermentation.
There isn't much better salami than those inoculated with white mold

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you don't want to pay for the commercial culture you can harvest skin from a white salami. These artisan salumi with skin on are not available in corporate groceries here in Colorado at least but one can find them at specialty markets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave have you ever thought to try hanging an already moldy sausage among fresh ones? I suspect it'll inoculate the others.

I haven't done that but at the moment I have some innoculated and fully moldy salami hanging around and between a lonzino and a couple pancettas that weren't innoculated. I'll let you know if there's any movement between them.

I've got lots of mold in my fridge and I don't have to worry a bit! This is 10C/50F and started at 75% RH now lowered to 65% after a couple weeks.

Cabinet.jpg

I haven't done that but at the moment I have some innoculated and fully moldy salami hanging around and between a lonzino and a couple pancettas that weren't innoculated. I'll let you know if there's any movement between them.

The lonzino i mentioned picked up a small bit of mold in the chamber before it finished drying. While aging wrapped in cellophane in my deli drawer the white mold filled in.

DAC9F245-CE54-4B4E-A9FF-97DF99AC77B1-4865-000004FE43DACF35.jpg

Last edited:

Back