Presmoking and finishing in oven

Lennard Kong

TVWBB Member
I am looking at doing a few briskets for the future and was wondering about the time constraints given the 10hour+ time window required.

Has anyone done a presmoke then put them in the freezer or refridgerator and then oven finished them days later ?

Lennard

Nope. Sounds like a bad plan to me.
Myron Mixon cooked a brisket for "5 hours" on the BBQ Challenge on TV. He has cooked a few more than I have! I would use higher heat combined with foil and rest. Try 275*. You should be able to get it done in less than 10 hours. If you are rushed go to 300*. When you apply foil during the cook at say 160 to 170, you get more or a smoked pot roast effect....

What for poundage are you talking about? Whole packers? Flats only?
I agree with Steve about pre-smoking/freezing/re-heating. I don't think you'll get to good of a product out of that.

Ok, this might seem like a stupid question,
but do commercial bbq shops cook 24 hours to be able to have available briskets during the day ?
Or do they aim for sometime in the morning and have it stored and cut during the day ?

My guess is that restaurants, competitors and, home cooks each have a slightly different perspective. A friend of mine cooks for a very popular local restaurant. He uses salt and pepper only and cooks butts for 12 hours-they are not undersized. On the BBQ challenge Mixon cooked brisket for 5 hours. With that in mind and considering my lack of success with long rib cooks, I cooked spares at 270-330. The spares were done in 3 1/2 hours and the best I have done on the wsm. Obviously most cook em longer and slower. There is clearly a range that works and a best time and temp may vary by user.

Back