Prepping Ribs w/ Pam

Dean Torges

R.I.P. 11/4/2016
After removing membrane, rinsing and patting dry, I place ribs in the fridge long enough to form a pellicle. Then spray with butter-flavored Pam and sprinkle on rub prior to cook.

Virtue is that rub adheres to ribs uniformly and as thick as you want it. Salt quite noticeably does not leach out as much moisture, either. I like 'em thisaway.

Sometimes I rub my ribs down with EVOO or OO then sprinkle a light coating of rub. Leave them set a while then sprinkle on a heavier coat of rub.

I haven't used butter flavored Pam yet. I've read somewhere that one or two teams do spray their ribs a butts with a cooking spray before applying their rub.

Nothing new under the sun, I reckon. Arrived at the process after I'd left ribs too long in the fridge and rub wouldn't stick. Pam sticks good to ribs with a pellicle, and rub sticks good to Pam, all through the cook.

Wood flavor is definitely more intense. Some will not like that. Good idea with this method to put smokewood in chimney starter to get the smoke out of it early on.

Back