Preheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
I was wondering what is the proper way to preheat the grilling grate. The first couple of times I used my OTS, I would put on the grate and then put on the lid. I found that the coals seemed to give off less heat once I put the lid on. I now preheat the grate with the lid off. I found that the coals are really burning and getting the grate hot and I am able to scrape the grates from the previous cook really good with the lid off. Tonight I was watching a video of Jamie Purviance and he said to properly preheat the grate, you need to put the lid on. I was just wondering what everyone does when you preheat. Thanks!

If I am doing a direct heat cook steaks, chops...I leave the lid off, If I'm setting up for an indirect cook or a smoke session I go lid on. I clean and oil my rate while it is still hot from the cook.I use a spray bottle with water and a grill brush. If that don;t get it I hit it with the weed burner the next day and wipe it with a paper towel that has some oil on it or spray it with pam.

I put the grate on as soon as I've dumped the coals into the bowl. At that point the grate gets heated as a secondary function of whatever it takes to get the fire to where I want it, whether that be lid on or lid off.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back