Preferred network set-up for a Stoker

Ed R

I am expecting a Stoker shortly and have already reviewed a lot of the great info. on this forum. I currently have a wireless router running in my house. I would like to have the ability to view/adjust the Stoker via the internet.

Of the different set-ups (wireless game adapter, 2nd router at grill, hardwired), which do you feel is the best way to go? The main factors I am considering include ease of use, reliability, and cost.

Thanks

If your able to just hardwire the stoker to the router that your pc is hooked to I would go that route.I ended up doing that and using port fowarding and then I could check my cook anywhere.My wire was able to be hidden easily or I would have went with the gaming adapter.

If you have the ability to run the cable- Ethernet will be the easiest to use and most reliable IMHO. If you are comfortable with networking another wireless access point/router can be bridged as well. Both options will allow you to open a specific port to the internet for remote viewing/control. I use both depending on where I am setup. At our last contest we were next to a building that had open Wi-Fi. I was able to walk around and use my iPhone for monitoring. The stoker is a great device.

I agree that wired is better but seeing as you need power I've done my network connection via a powerline adapter. I have the Zyxel and it works really well.

I have the linksys wireless bridge, and it seems very sensitive to temperature changes, only wanting to work reliably between 50 and 65 degrees. Outside of that range, it's constantly dropping. I pulled a wire to fix this.

We had lots of problems getting started, but after I improved my education and understood what was going on. We have very little troubles.

i use a Linksys router, on extream days I will wrap the stoker and router in a beach towel. And that has fixed my temp problems.

The other big headake was getting the router hooked up. It was later suggested that I hook the router to my laptop and then connect the router to my home network. Took 2 min and all has been fine since.

Thanks for the feedback. I just received my Stoker this weekend and decided to wire it directly to my router. It was great watching the games and monitoring/controlling the grill via laptop.

Although Stokerlog was indicating they were sent, I did not receive e-mail updates to my gmail account. The spam filter did not pick them up either. Any suggestions to address this issue?

Back