Pre-70's kettle worth restoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Kelly

Hi folks.

I have been lurking on the board off and on for a while, but figured I would join to ask y'all something.

I found an old Weber grill in someones' trash a little over a year ago. It's been collecting dust in the backyard for a while, but I would like to restore it. Only problem is the paint on the grill is an odd color (sort of a rust tone, not the usual red,) the bottom vents will require drilling out (and possibly replacing... all three are stuck open) and the porcelain is badly chipped in a lot of places. Do you all think this would be worth restoring?

What would be necessary to fix the porcelain chips, and is there any heat resistant paint that will stick to porcelain so I could make it all one color? I saw how one guy restored some red kettles but red paint would obviously not blend in too well with the paint they used on this one.

I found some information at one point that the patent for the Bar-B-Q Kettle wasn't granted until 1970, so grills that say "patent pending" on them were made before that year.

Photos included for diagnostic purposes.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for any advice.

Owen

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0519.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

That rust color is the original color of that particular kettle. There is another "red" color that is brighter. I wouldn't worry too much about the porcelain chips - just keep the grill covered.

You can call Weber about the bottom vents - they should be able to hook you up with replacements for not a lot of money.

You can try spraying some WD 40 around the vents and then trying to get them open - gently tap the tab with a hammer. Or you can build a fire in the kettle and see if the heat will loosen up the gunk that probably has the vents frozen in place then work them free before the kettle cools down completely.

If you don't want to mess with it, send it to me!! I'll give it a good home in my "Weber Grill Garden for Abandoned and Lonely Weber Grills."

Pat

I seem to remember that someone on this board retores kettle like this, but I don't remember who it is. Hopefully, he will respond to your post.

I love your blue Weber!

Ya know Owen... that grill is in pretty good condition for it's age! Nice find!!
And WELCOME to the forum!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

please try and keep everything as original as possible. just drill out the rivets and replace with stainless steel hardware. the vents look in great shape. the dents and rust can just be oiled and left as is. kinda like being proud of its war wounds. the original color was kinda a two tone so that is its original colors and it should be left alone. you have a great kettle there and it will serve you well.

Just take some 0000 extra fine steel wool with some soapy warm water, and scrub the whole grill down, inside and out if you like. Even the legs and the little wire section at the bottom of the three legs. You will be shocked how clean this grill will come out. For the extra stubborn areas of grease, I use Simple Green cleaner with the steel wool. This steel wool will not scratch the paint, it will just take off all the grime, grease, or whatever else might have built up on it! Show some photos when youre done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back