Poultry Questions

tom richart

My wife for valentines day gave me some accessories and was looking for feedback on whether they work well or not. She gave me a rack for chickens and turkey which, basically, allows the bird to rest vertically in the smoker (like shoving a beer can in the cavity). Is this better than just setting the bird horizontallly on the rack. I have always been happy with how the poultry turned out by setting it horizontally. But, I was thinking it may cook and smoke it more evenly, would this be the case?

Additionally, I have been thinking about buying cut up whole chickens to cook in the smoker. I have always just done whole chickens. Has anyone purchased cut up whole chickens and cooked them? Is so, what temp. and how long would you cook it for?

Thanks for any advice!

Tom in VA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom richart:
My wife for valentines day gave me some accessories and was looking for feedback on whether they work well or not. She gave me a rack for chickens and turkey which, basically, allows the bird to rest vertically in the smoker (like shoving a beer can in the cavity). Is this better than just setting the bird horizontallly on the rack. I have always been happy with how the poultry turned out by setting it horizontally. But, I was thinking it may cook and smoke it more evenly, would this be the case? Does the rack look like this? Chicken/Duck roaster I If so, it will work great on/in the WSM. People have been using these for years with great results. Will allow for smoke and heat to enter the cavity.

Additionally, I have been thinking about buying cut up whole chickens to cook in the smoker. I have always just done whole chickens. Has anyone purchased cut up whole chickens and cooked them? Is so, what temp. and how long would you cook it for? Masure temps in various pieces (breasts and thighs). Use same temps for beasts and thighs as you normally would. Cooking times should be a little shorter using pieces.

Thanks for any advice!

Tom in VA <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pieces (chicken quarters) work fine. They're easier to marinade too because you can pack em into a bag or container and don't take up the space. As for cooking I like to make sure the legs and thighs are on the edge where it's hotter, and the brest parts in the middle. I find the legs and thighs cook more quickly when they're quartered.

morgan

Yes, the rack is a different manufacturer but basically, it looks the same. And thanks for the info about cooking the cut up chicken. I'm just looking to try different things and see how they turn out. I am just too lazy to buy a whole chicken and cut it up myself. Besides if I did that I wouldn't be able to use the new racks my wife bought me. Plus I was hoping to cut down the cooking time if I used cut up chicken.

Thanks for the info.....

Tom in VA

Tom,

I use a rack for whole chickens or turkeys but it is one that lets me keep the poultry in a horizontal position. Weber used to sell them (may still do so). It is a very easy way to lift the bird off the grill (especially 12 to 14 lb. turkeys). Another big advantage is that you can put fruits / onions/ herbs etc inside the poultry without them falling out.

As for parts, I agree with he other posts. I frequently just use chicken halves - buy the whole chicken and cut out the backbone. The halves are easy to put in plastic bags for the marinate.

Ray

Back