Poultry on top

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already. I searched the archives but was unable to find a thread which dealt with this.

I've seen a couple of messages that suggest that poultry should not be cooked above non-poultry on the WSM due to the chance of bacteria being transmitted to food on the bottom grate through the drippings. This confuses me and I'm hoping someone can explain to me why this matters.

It seems to me that if the interior of the smoker is above 200* then any bacteria dripped on the bottom food should be killed shortly after it drips and is exposed to the interior heat. And if not, what then happens when chicken is cooked above more chicken? Shouldn't this be just as dangerous as having baking potatoes on the bottom, assuming they stay in until the chicken is fully cooked? I must be overlooking something. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thanks for your help,

Jay

Good question, Jay, and it appears that you are not getting overwhelmed with answers! Maybe there's some good answers out there or maybe it's just another case of the subject not being really thought out. I know that I have never allowed the drippings from poultry to drip onto other foods. My reasons were, I guess, partly for safety and partly because the idea of poultry fats and juices on my other meats & vegitables wasn't appealing. How 'bout it, folks? Any good responses to Jay's question?

Hi Ray:

I hadn't considered the aesthetics of poultry drippings. That certainly sounds like a good enough reason to avoid the chicken on top scenario if such a thing bothers you. OTOH, the flavor of a nicely brined chicken might not be an unpleasant seasoning on some potatoes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jay

Jay,

You are right in your observation that bacteria are killed well below the 200+? environment of your cooker.

However, the real danger lies with the toxins the living, rapidly reproducing bacteria create while they are within the danger zone. These toxins are not destroyed by heat and remain on the food when it’s consumed.

Most healthy adults are resistant to low levels of these toxins since they are present in virtually everything we eat. Over time, we have developed a tolerance to and an ability to fend off these toxins in their normal trace amounts. However, young children, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems due to disease are much more likely to suffer the effects of food poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea, fever) since they are unable to combat the toxins entering their bloodstreams. Even healthy people can be brought to their knees by a sudden influx of toxins from mishandled or cross-contaminated foods above what their bodies can normally counteract.

Long answer longer: It’s not worth the risk.

Hope this answers your questions.

Ken

Ken:

Thanks for your explanation. I'm not disputing what you say. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain all the way around the concept. I understand that toxins are created by the bacteria but what I'm having a hard time grasping is why those toxins are worse, more dangerous or more numerous for having dripped onto something else than they would be if the chicken were somehow sealed and all the juices (bacteria, toxins and all) remained contained within the meat on the top grate. Or put another way, would those same juices be as dangerous if the chicken sat in a shallow container so that the meat remained in contact with them? Please forgive my density.

One last thing. What is your opinion of cooking chicken above chicken on the WSM? Shouldn't this be just as dangerous or am I missing the point?

Thanks again,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back