Pots & Pans

one shouldn't commit to a one best pan approach.
Agreed. Like knives.

Though I do not care much for SS - I do not care for any 'clad' pans - I do have and use CI and copper, other than anodized aluminum. I have a couple nonstick - Calphalon as well because of their higher oven temp possibilities. It's what works for me. YMMV.

I've never understood Cooks Illustrated's results for nearly any of their tests. They never seem to be geared toward cooks.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I've never understood Cooks Illustrated's results for nearly any of their tests. They never seem to be geared toward cooks.

K Kruger, can you explain what you mean by that? (But I do acknowledge that their methodology/recipes can be a bit wordy/technical/contrived/not-always-as-novel-as-they-want-to-think-it-is.)

Not to mention the rather familiar openings of so many of their articles (and one of the reasons I quit my subscription years ago): the I-searched-everywhere-and-tested-dozens-of-recipes-and-none-worked-so-I-had-to-develop-this-gem-on-my-own-as-justification-for-including-it-in-this-issue introduction. Drives me nuts. Really? You found no good [--fill in the blank--] recipes anywhere? Please.

As for so many of their tests, they simply ignore - or comment on but then overlook - key variables. ("Handles were not as important", stated in their 9/2006 issue on their sauté pan test. Their kidding, right? No. Since handles are scarcely mentioned again, they're not.) Or simply state opinion as fact. (From the 5/2009 issue on cookware sets: "Most bundle together a lot of pans we don’t need and not enough of the ones we do—the five or six hardworking multitaskers that we turn to every day. Besides pans in impractical sizes (1-quart saucepans good for little more than melting butter or 8-inch skillets that are only useful if you’re cooking for one)". Who's 'we'? 1-quart saucepans only good for melting butter? On what planet? They're good for, you know, sauces. 8-inch skillets only good if you are cooking for one? Hmm. Well, not if you are an actual, you know, cook.

There are dozens of examples of this sort of dumbed-down-for-the-masses garbage.

Here's the thing: Cooks figured out quite some time ago - long before Food Network and the Cooking Channel took the ball and ran with it - that the largest market out there is a combination of vicarious cooks (those that really don't cook but like to watch), beginner cooks and novice cooks. Everything is geared toward this market. The advanced home cook? The intermediate? The professional. Too small a market to bother with.

Moral of my story: If you are a beginner or novice home cook and have been reading CI and/or watching Food TV for years you've gotten virtually everything you can from it. If you want to get better move on.

Kevin,

I hear you. I used to be a subscriber as well and cancelled after two years of amassing magazines that went largely unread. For cooks seeking to develop their skills who tend toward a more thorough approach I do think there is a value to their material with the caveat not to go all OCD on that it has to be done their way. I agree that their material is repetitive - there truly is nothing new under the sun.

The "vicarious cooks" is a good observation. The Food Network has long since gone downhill and their product line at Kohls is a joke. Most cooking classes < $$$ are too basic for a decent home cook. To learn to cook one primarily has to do just that - cook - with whatever your have on hand, and improvise as one sees fit if one doesn't have all that they think they need!

Daniel

As far as non-stick goes I have used expensive pans for years and never really that happy with them. Seems two years is the most you ever get out of them. I started buying the Bakers and Chefs pans from Sam's. The ones on the isle with the foil pans. I am very happy with them and they are inexpensive.

Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
I started buying the Bakers and Chefs pans from Sam's. The ones on the isle with the foil pans. I am very happy with them and they are inexpensive.

......and made in the USA.

Back