Potential Alternative to KillaGrilla stainless steel flip grate

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
KillaGrilla grates have excellent reviews and I have no doubt they are amazing grates, but they are expensive and keep getting more expensive.

They are now $86 plus $19 in shipping. $105 bucks.

Hunsaker makes a very beefy well built grate for the 22" kettle and it costs $55 and shipping is free.
I can speak to the quality of the Hunsaker because I own one. I'm actually using it as my charcoal grate on my 26" kettle.

KillaGrilla also makes a 22" grate without flip sides but it costs $76 plus $19 shipping so
$95. $40 more than the Hunsaker.

I asked Hunsaker if they could make a stainless steel grate with the flip up side and he said he would if there was enough people interested. I have no clue what they would charge, but imagine it would be cheaper than what KillaGrilla is charging.

Would anyone else be interested in a flip grate from Hunsaker? I asked about the single flip that would be better for a SnS, but am sure he could do the dual flip on the sides too.

His looks like a viable alternative. Not as thick stainless, but certainly very adequate.

I have on my bucket list to get Mark at Killa Grilla to make special grates for my two antique PK grills. He will be really pricey for that. I wonder if this guy is interested in expanding his offerings beyond supporting the smoker they seem to promote.

His looks like a viable alternative. Not as thick stainless, but certainly very adequate.

I have on my bucket list to get Mark at Killa Grilla to make special grates for my two antique PK grills. He will be really pricey for that. I wonder if this guy is interested in expanding his offerings beyond supporting the smoker they seem to promote.
He is pretty responsive on Facebook. They actually make all their products in house including those big smokers. If there were enough people interested in those PK grates I'm sure he would make them. I've never had any custom jobs done with him but I'm sure he would work with you

Thanks, Kyle! When I get some time to do accurate measurements, I will ask him what he thinks.

There are some fanatical PK fans, and the one grill I have - the "Duchess" - is not supported at all by the "new" PK company. The round grate is one with a single fold-up, but there are no options at its unusual, smaller size. My other old PK is slightly smaller than the current "Original." The new PK company used to offer replacement grates (nickel plated steel) but recently stopped offering that even though they do offer really nice stainless ones for their current models. Either of these would have a definite market if advertised among the PK group on Facebook. For that matter, I wonder if the PK company wouldn't be interested in having a quality supplier to contract with so they could offer these. They get many inquiries from people trying to restore and use these old cast aluminum grills that other than grates (and sometimes vents) can last a lifetime or more.

Mark Hunsaker got back to me on this.

He already makes a "hybrid rack" for the drum smokers, which happen to be the same size diameter as a 22" top grate.
He said they could grind down the little nubs off this grate if you wanted to use it on a kettle. He says he also does this for people wanting to use the rack on a WSM.

It has a cool meat hook system built into it, which would be very nice for a smoker, but I'm not sure it's very useful for a kettle.

I've asked him if it would be possible for them to make this same grate without the tabs and without the meat hooks and am waiting to see what he says. I also asked if making it without those options would lower the price from $99.

At the $99 price point I would just go with the KillaGilla one at $105. Will post an update when I have one.

I have to say, after buying rcplanebuyer grates for my genesis, I REALLY REALLY like the super thick rods. I'm fine if they're spaced out, but the thick rod stock does a lot to get good sear marks

Last edited:
I have to say, after buying rcplanebuyer grates for my genesis, I REALLY REALLY like the super thick rods. I'm fine if they're spaced out, but the thick rod stock goes a lot to get good sear marks
I never heard back from Hunsaker on if he'd be able to sell that hybrid rack for cheaper than $99 if it didn't include the hook hanging system. I'll probably end up getting a KillaGrilla grate....just seeing if maybe he has some kind of sale around Black Friday

I have to say, after buying rcplanebuyer grates for my genesis, I REALLY REALLY like the super thick rods. I'm fine if they're spaced out, but the thick rod stock goes a lot to get good sear marks

I have said a number of times that Mark Barron/KillaGrilla is to kettle grates what Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer is to gas grill grates. Both are great craftsman.

Back