pot roast bark?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

I am used to thoroughly BROWNING a pot roast and then cooking at 300F in the over for several hours. I love the crust that develops on the roast.

Does the "bark" from smoking for 3 hr/# actually create the browning effect that I am used to? I love an internet recipe that uses coca-cola and the oven for pot roast, but I would like to try something different.

I checked out Kevin Taylors recipes and they look awesome, but I really really want the outside bark to be crispy. Would a little olive oil in a squirt bottle mixture with beef broth help any?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Troy

i smoked a small chuck roast yesterday afternoon. I used the southern succor rub from Smoke and Spice. Left in the refrig over night, basted with worchester and apple juice. Cooked with a combo of unlit briquettes under lit lump charcoal and plenty of apple wood for smoke. Temps varied from 225 at the beginning up to 240 at times. The higher temps came when I opened the door to add apple wood. The bark was fantastic! Couldn't ask for a better piece of beef.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Troy,

My own opinion...I feel the bark created from a smoke is thicker and flavor goes deeper than an oven roast method.
We'll see if the community agrees...

Troy....

The bark is always crispier when smoking. I believe it is a function of the long times the meat stays in the pit. If you want really crispy bark, eliminate the oil...it will keep the meat soft..and don't mop as often as you normally would.

Here are the pics of my chuck after smoking for almost 10 hrs. The bark was very crispy..even after foiling!

CAB Chuck roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back