Post salmon smoke is fishy

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
There are many lessons to be learned. Keep a clean smoker. I don't keep mine as clean as I should... After smoking salmon scour and clean grills meticulously. For the second time in two years, I did not clean the smoker after salmon. Tonight we had yuck smoked chicken. Kind of fishy. Sort of salmony. My wife said something was funky. After cooking salmon clean everything to the inth degree. Fishy chick is not appealing.

Pull the water pan and open the vents and let the pit burn the fish out, will ash the grates and is pretty easy to clean.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Pull the water pan and open the vents and let the pit burn the fish out, will ash the grates and is pretty easy to clean.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Really? That's awesome Jim, thanks for the tip! I don't have to scrub my grates clean in the sink anymore. EXCELLENT!

I have a propane smoker. When I smoke fish I don't use water. Never had any trouble with a fishy after taste or smell. Just a thought. I use a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain Series Big Block.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I frequently don't have much fuel left in the charcoal ring after smokin' pork butts. I still dump the water pan contents into the ash bags (as has been recommended many times here) and scrub it separately. It may be a waste of fuel, but the day after I usually power up a chimney of briqs and drop them into the ring. I put the water pan on the top rack, upside down. After that gets burning good, an old damp T-shirt cleans the outside. As Jim said, it's just ashes after that.

Back