Post-fire Reconstruction?

Gary Stockman

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but after seeing all the restoration threads, I'm hoping I can get some help and advice.

We have a newish Genesis II S-435. It experienced a significant grease fire that got hot enough to soften a couple of flavor bar guides. I thought it was done, but after inspecting more thoroughly, I'm now not sure. As you can see in the photos ...

The burners don't look bad, and most of the exterior is ok. (You will see some pre-existing corrosion and also fire extinguisher residue.)

The fire box looks sketchy, but I don't know enough to say if it's ok.

Flavor bars needed replacing anyway. The grill is in a beachy area and rust is always a problem.

Can you take a look at the photos and advise my next steps? If it's worth rebuilding, what do I need and where is
parts source? I've rebuilt cars but I don't know much about Webers!

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_0001.jpegIMG_0002.jpegIMG_0003.jpegIMG_0006.jpegIMG_0007.jpegIMG_0945.jpegIMG_0946.jpegIMG_0947.jpegIMG_0948.jpegIMG_0949.jpegIMG_0950.jpeg the best

Geez, I don't know for sure, but that looks like a pretty big mess you got there. If it was me, I would probably move on. You can probably replace a lot of the parts, but with that kind of a nuclear meltdown, there may be issues that you just can't see right off the bat and it could wind up being a pretty expensive investment that doesn't bring it back to life.

The problem with that being a newer grill and atypical 4 burner, Stainless Steel grill, is that it isn't simple to just go out and find a donor grill to grab parts from.

Plus, like you said, living on the beach is going to be a problem for rust as a lot of those grills are actually regular steel and not fully stainless.

Unless you need all the room of the 4 burner, I would consider a Weber Q3200. They are almost entirely aluminum, stainless or plastic so rust is not an issue with those and they are nearly the same size as a 3 burner Weber Genesis.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but after seeing all the restoration threads, I'm hoping I can get some help and advice.

We have a newish Genesis II S-435. It experienced a significant grease fire that got hot enough to soften a couple of flavor bar guides. I thought it was done, but after inspecting more thoroughly, I'm now not sure. As you can see in the photos ...

The burners don't look bad, and most of the exterior is ok. (You will see some pre-existing corrosion and also fire extinguisher residue.)

The fire box looks sketchy, but I don't know enough to say if it's ok.

Flavor bars needed replacing anyway. The grill is in a beachy area and rust is always a problem.

Can you take a look at the photos and advise my next steps? If it's worth rebuilding, what do I need and where is
parts source? I've rebuilt cars but I don't know much about Webers!

Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 27297View attachment 27298View attachment 27299View attachment 27300View attachment 27301View attachment 27302View attachment 27303View attachment 27304View attachment 27305View attachment 27306View attachment 27307 the best
No way. Just needs a good cleaning and maybe some paint;-). I have fixed up way worse fire damaged Webers. I don't see anything wrong from the pics. Just take everything apart and scrub good. Reassemble and test. Post pics of any parts you have questions about? It is still under warranty also. This will be a fun rebuild. They are so easy. Burners and all the other parts just pop out. Just realized you are right up the road in DC. PM me if you need help.

Yah, if your cook box is melted in some way, then it would likely be a good candidate for a warranty claim. They will ask for pictures showing the damage, but they are pretty lenient with their warranties, so give it a shot.

Back