post cook question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
I've read about wrapping different cuts of meat in foil, putting towels in a cooler, then putting the meat in for half hour or more to let something good happen to the meat heh/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

is the same true for ribs? and if i dont have a cooler can I use the oven(off)?

any information is appreciated/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

From what I've read. Wrapping the meat in foil, towel, and putting in a cooler stuffed with paper is when the meat gets done earlier then when you want to eat it. The crumpled paper in the cooler is to eliminate as much air as you can in cooler and around the meat to keep it hotter longer so it's still warm enough to serve when your ready to eat.
Putting it in the oven would leave tons of open air around the wrapped meat causing it to cool off faster.

Not sure if this is what you inquired about but it sounds like it.

If allowed to rest as you described, smoked meats have the ability to "rehydrate" themselves, so to speak. The juices that have been rising to the surface will slowly be drawn back in, leving you with a juicier cut of meat than if you cut and served right away. IMO, ribs benefit a little from this, as opposed to a thicker cut of meat which can benefit a lot.

The cooler trick is not really for ribs but leaner cuts of meat, as I've read. I used it with a pork butt to keep warm for 5 hours, plus I believe it allows the fat to render even more and the juices to spread back througout the meat. Ribs are better served after a short 15 minute wait.

On the advice of this forum -- I'd give direct credit but can't remember from who, sorry -- I wrapped my butterflied chicken halves in foil, put them breast side down, loaded the boy and the wife into the car and headed to the in-laws 3 miles from my place.

Within thirty minutes of taking them off the que I was eating the moistest chicken breast I've ever had. I'm a believer in foil at least for meat that has a tendency to dry out -- like chicken breasts.

DWL

Within thirty minutes of taking them off the que I was eating the moistest chicken breast I've ever had. I'm a believer in foil at least for meat that has a tendency to dry out -- like chicken breasts.

DWL [/QB][/QUOTE]

You know, of all the hype of dry chicken, I haven't made a bad one yet, and I'm still green. I've made 3 chickens in the WSM...some solo and some with other meats and they've all turned out exceptionally well. I usually start 2 hours breast up, then 2 hours breast down and then let them rest in the cooler breast down 1/2 hour.

Gary....

I'm with you! I have never, ever had a dry piece of chicken! I really believe 99% of people who cook chicken overcook it drastically. How many recipes have you seen that include chicken in casseroles and then are cooked for 30-45 minutes at 350?? Dry, dry, dry.

I have never been a big fan of beer butt chicken...I think lots of hype over nothing. My theory is.........when folks make beer butt chicken, this is the first time they have ever followed a recipe for cooking just chicken. Therefore they are amazed at the results.

I learned how to cook chicken and use a thermo to check for internal temps. Most folks I feed are amazed that those nice frozen, skinless, boneless breasts can be cooked(high heat) in a mere 10 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back