Pork Steaks on WSM. Timing?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi. I'm a new WSM user and have done only ribs and chicken so far. I'd like to do pork steaks low-and-slow and was wondering if any of you have any idea what kind of timing we're talking here. Thanks for suggestions, experiences, etc.

mike

Hey there Mike, welcome to the club...

How thick are the steaks ?
I think i´d rather grill the steaks over very high heat if they´re not at least 3" thick. (Hey, thats not a steak anymore... /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif)

Don Marco

The aim of low & slow is to render fat and break down connective tissue, neither of which you need to do in this case. You also risk drying them out by that method. Why not grill over a bed of charcoal and a generous amount of smokewood chunks burnt down to coals to impart the smoke flavor you're after?

Well, these are "pork shoulder blade steaks" and they seem to have a great deal of fatty "marbling." that's why I thought that lowish and slowish might be the better option. they're about an inch thick. I'm afraid of burning them, frankly with too high a flame. Maybe I should try them with an empty water pan in place so that they at least get indirect heat? Thanks much for the replie! I really appreciate it.

mike

In that case, that makes them more like slices of pork butt or shoulder roast. The same problem you can run into with country style ribs may still happen with these-- meat drying out unless special measures are taken, usually foiling. I'd still be in favor of grilling, though, searing them first, and then moving them to lower heat to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back