Pork Shoulder

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Most the time I cook butts but I am thinks about doing a pork sholder or picnic. I am going to try it mojo style my cuban friend has a recipe that his mom use to cook picnics in the oven. You score the meat about a 1/2 to an inch deep forming squares so the marinade get down into the meatand you can also stuff some garlic in to it. It alos give you so good little taster when you pull it off kinda like cracklin. Anyone try something like that.

never tried it...but have always thought of it. sounds pretty good to me though!

I assume you all do the same, but I tie my butts up with butchers twine once I remove the fat cap. I think instead of scoring the meat at that point, I would make little pockets to stuff garlic, etc into.

If you can, post pics of the prep and finished product...I would love to see!

Mmmmm...can't wait for this weekend!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I only tie up butts that have been de-boned. Which I rarely ever cook. I always use bone in butts or the occasional shoulder.

Rick

I've tried doing picnics marinated with Mojo as you described, but wasn't that impressed with the flavor. No WOW factor, I even injected them and wasn't getting it. The flavors of the Mojo really come out on the smaller cuts marinated with some garlic and onion then grilled.

I tie mine up because it's easier to work with before throwing it into the WSM. And especially after 12+ hours of cooking!

After the cook, that thing pretty much falls apart on its own when you cut the twine....such a beautiful sight!
icon_biggrin.gif

but if its done cooking, and you're not ready to serve...a tied up butt makes wrapping it/holding it much easier to manage.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree..I am going to try and jack up the flavor. Most of the butts I cook have a bone if they come tied without the bone I leave them that way.

Back