Pork shoulder weekend.

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
My family is coming over for my wife's birthday & Mothers day and thought an 8lb pork shoulder would make a nice feast. I picked up a Swift 8 lb shoulder yesterday that I just seasoned with SPG and a little smoked paprika.

I plan on putting it on the SmokeFire around 5 am at 225f, and smoking with pecan pellets.

Check out the cooking directions on the lable.IMG_3514.JPGIMG_3507.JPGIMG_3505.JPGIMG_3516.JPG

Last edited:
Mothers Day and 2 birthdays will be celebrated here a week from tomorrow (the 18th). My youngest daughter and her boy my grandson Blake. He'll be 14 and she's exactly 20 years older :D
I have a gorgeous brisket point in the freezer (I only hope weather cooperates) since I will absolutely NEED Big Z due to it's WIFI capability and needing to start night before. I can't run MM in the garage like that. So it will be imperative the weather cooperates And I have to know in enought time to thaw it LOL
Additionally I have a request for ravioli. I have my work cut out for me

My family is coming over for my wife's birthday & Mothers day and thought an 8lb pork shoulder would make a nice feast. I picked up a Swift 8 lb shoulder yesterday that I just seasoned with SPG and a little smoked paprika.

I plan on putting it on the SmokeFire around 5 am at 225f, and smoking with pecan pellets.

Check out the cooking directions on the lable.View attachment 90723View attachment 90724View attachment 90725View attachment 90726
A clear case of your experience powerfully better than Swift's instructions.

Hope she has a wonderful b/day. FWIW the reason Swift uses a goofy (to us) instruction like that is for food safety. They have liability to cover. Because given how poor our society is lately in the brains and common sense dept and how quick they are to not take responsibility for their own stupidity and will want to blame someone else they have to do this.
Just remember, 50 years ago (maybe even less), the owner's manual on your car gave instructions on how to change oil, adjust valves, and so on. Now? it has stark warnings not to consume the fluids from the car. Same thing with things like laundry soap. We did not need warnings not to eat or drink it. Somehow we just knew. Now? Ehh not so much

People actually bake these? I thought the only other option besides smoking them was to throw it in a crockpot for several hours.:)

Hope she has a wonderful b/day. FWIW the reason Swift uses a goofy (to us) instruction like that is for food safety. They have liability to cover. Because given how poor our society is lately in the brains and common sense dept and how quick they are to not take responsibility for their own stupidity and will want to blame someone else they have to do this.
Just remember, 50 years ago (maybe even less), the owner's manual on your car gave instructions on how to change oil, adjust valves, and so on. Now? it has stark warnings not to consume the fluids from the car. Same thing with things like laundry soap. We did not need warnings not to eat or drink it. Somehow we just knew. Now? Ehh not so much
Perhaps, but can you imagine how it would taste if you cooked it according to those instructions?

"picnic shoulder" is from the thinner, triangle-shaped end of the shoulder whereas the "butt" is from the thicker, more intensely marbled end of the shoulder. Because picnic shoulder comes from the thinner area, it is a bit better for cooking whole and slicing, while pork butt is perfect for making pulled pork and other recipes in which the meat is meant to fall apart. If the selection at the butcher counter demands, use picnic shoulder, pork shoulder, and pork butt interchangeably in most recipes.

FWIW my sister makes pork shoulder in the oven and quite well actually (I'm told) since I have not had it. But she has no grill or smoker

Took it off after 11 hours, probed 203f when I removed it. Now I wait, shoulder is foil covered in a disposable pan. In a couple of hours it should be cool enough to dismember the shoulder.

Turkey burgers and fries for dinner tonight. I'm definitely getting a sample of the pork tonight, and the two yorkies who have supervised me throughout the day.

Took it off after 11 hours, probed 203f when I removed it. Now I wait, shoulder is foil covered in a disposable pan. In a couple of hours it should be cool enough to dismember the shoulder.

Turkey burgers and fries for dinner tonight. I'm definitely getting a sample of the pork tonight, and the two yorkies who have supervised me throughout the day.
Dogs are better than most people....fact.
An ex cops opinion.

Back