Pork shoulder stuck at 170, But is tender and seems to be pullable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Fraley

TVWBB Super Fan
I've had this 3.5 pound for almost 10 hours now and it's stuck at 170. But when I pressed down on the roast to see how tender it is it's very tender and seemed to start pulling apart. Is this normal or is my thermometer off? The meat is nice and pink sorto of hammy looking.

It's still stuck at 170 degrees! It's been there for around 2 hours now and has'nt moved. It's very tender and comes apart similiar to pot roast only not quit as moist. It's not dry just not really moist. I decided to foil it for a while and leave it on the grill. I think I'll take it off in about an hour and see what happens.

sounds like what happens to me. I usually give up on gettin it go that high on the thermometer because it just pulls apart and is absolutely delicous. took mine off last night at 2am after 15 hours and sprayed with apple juice and wrapped it in foil like I read someone said to do.

I must tell you, some of it never made it to the foil wrap and made a fantastic late night smack!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

After this cook, you may want to test that thermometer. Considering I had a 6 pounder be at 195 after 10 hours makes your 3.5 one seem a bit suspicious.

Yeah, the coals are pretty well cached and the temp is slowly starting to drop even with all of the vents wide open. Next time I'll hopefully get it to that temp. But it'll have to do where it's at now. I thought at 170 it doesnt really pull it's better for slicing. But this pulls apart easily. And when you insert the thermometer it goes in like a hot knife thru butter. Oh well it still smells and looks very good. I'll be eating this for lunch in a little while /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason M. Park:
[qb] After this cook, you may want to test that thermometer. Considering I had a 6 pounder be at 195 after 10 hours makes your 3.5 one seem a bit suspicious. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah I considered that. It's actually not even my thermometer. It's my neighbors from his weber Kettle grill. It's got a nice looking bark on it. But it's really not all that moist. Not dry but it's not nearly as moist as I thought it would be. It may be a little overcooked. I'm going to be getting a WSM and two new digital thermometers in a week or two. So then I'll be well on my way to some excellent BBQ. I've got the shoulder sitting on the counter right now cooling down a little before I start pulling it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back