Pork Shoulder Questions (HELP)

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I have a few smokes under my belt and now I need to get this pork shoulder thing under control. I did do one picnic shoulder a couple of weeks ago and was not happy at all with it. I will list what I did.

1. One 7.5 lb. picnic
2. Cleaned off the leg skin and fat cap
3. Applied Chris Lilly’s rub and left in refrigerator over night

Chris’s rub
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (used turbo sugar)
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

4. Applied Chris Lilly’s injection just prior to putting butt on and rubbed one more time

Chris’s Injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

5. Slow cooked at 225-230F for approximately 14 hours until 195F internal temp.
6. Did not use any sops or mops

RESULTS

Shoulder was dry other than very internal meat. Bark was very very salty. I was also not happy with the amount of meat that I got it seamed the bone was very large.

I have since purchased two butts from SAMS in the cryo pack I am wanting to do them this weekend and I am thinking about using MR. Browns recipe but it looks like it has too much pepper for the other members of my family.

HELP!

Mike

Most people find picnics turn out drier than butts-- there's a bit more intra-muscular fat in a butt. I don't think I would apply a salt-containing rub and a salt-containing injection, too.

The good thing about BBQ is you're free to make your own seasoning choices-- it's not carved in stone. If a recipe seems too salty or peppery to you, just cut back on it some, or wait until after it's done and tweak it a bit. I normally don't use rubs with salt in them, and opt to mix in a version of the rub with a little salt added when I pull the meat.

Also, figure to net about 50-60% of pre-cooked weight from a butt or picnic.

One question. I know the recipe you posted lists garlic salt, but does it really call for garlic powder? I think that would make a big difference as to how salty it would taste.

Jim

I smoked two butts a couple of weeks ago for a neighborhood party. After rinsing them with vinegar, I seasoned them with dry mustard and a cajun mix I picked up at BJ's......not too heavy on either one.

After about twelve hours, I pulled them at 196, foiled and let them rest in the cooler until it was time to eat. They turned out great.

I never tried a picnic. After reading several posts, I started with the butts, and never looked back.

Mike
The results were a function of the cut you cooked. The recipe was developed for butts or whole shoulders, try it on the butt before making changes. It is also ment to be cooked with hickory or try pecan.
Jim

Mike,
Try pulling/twisting on the bone when you get to the 188 range or so. I find they are done just fine around 190, rest for a few hours. I trim the skin off, but don't trim to much fat off.
I also use the Lilly injection, minus the W-shire sauce.
I use Texas rub, and mix the #1 & #2 together. I never rub and leave sit overnight. I mustard them up and rub while the WSM is getting started. Me, I prefer Picnics, but I think most here prefer the Bostons. Don't know why, but Picnics seem to be more consistant time wise than Bostons.

Mike,
Make sure that the meat you buy is not "enhanced" with a salt solution. It would be listed somewhere on the label in very small print.

Al

I think your problem lies in the injection. 1/4 cup of salt put into a pork shoulder, or anything, is going to make it salty.

As far as dry, are you sure your thermo's are calibrated? Both, the one on the smoker, and the one in the shoulder. Where are you checking the temp in the smoker?

I leave the fat cap on. This way it the fat from the cap is dripping into the meat the whole cook.

Well, thanks for all of the help I have two butts on right now one using Chris Lillys with a lot of salt taken out the other using Mr. Browns with allot of the pepper removed. The family did not like the smell of the apple vinegar so I am using straight apple juice for my sop at this point. I am hoping that the picnic I used last time was enhanced to explain the dryness.

I am having troubles keeping the temp up on the smoker. mmm

Thanks
Mike

I tried picnics many times this year and i came to the conclsion that butts are far better than picnics. Yes the picnics are cheaper than butts but there's so much more waste with them and they turn out alot drier than butts. Of course as always this is just my opinion. I get more bang for my buck with butts than picnics.
icon_wink.gif

Back