Pork Shoulder Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think this has been probably been addressed before, but I have a question about cooking pork shoulder. I was at Costco today and bought a "Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast." The two in the Cryovac were ~ 13 1/2 lbs.

Question: Can I cook this using the same method shown on the cooking section for the Butt?

Also, it is in the freezer, so I will be defrosting and applying mustard and rub once it is thawed. Anything different I need to do since it is previously frozen?

Thanks,

DWL

"Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast" is a butt, same cut of meat in the cooking section of the site.
Just curious but how much per lb was the butt at CostCo? I kinda thought most CostCo stocked the same types of meats, but as I have never seen whole butts at the one in Chicago I am guessing I am wrong. Anyone else find butts at their local CostCo? I know they sell "Country Style Ribs" for $1.99 here so they must get butts, just don't sell them whole.
Jamie

At my local Costco, they don't have any of the Pork Butts out in the meat case. I asked them if they had any, and they brought me out a 2 pack from the back. It may be the same at your Costco.

Jeff

Hi Doug,

Costco is where I always purchase my pork butts. They come two in a package and they run 13-17 lbs for the two pack. So, the pork you bought is pork butt and it has the bone. It is sometimes referred to as pork shoulder or Boston butt.

The pork you bought is the same as what is shown on the cooking page (Renowned Mr Brown).

-mc

I usually buy my pork shoulder/butts at BJs (since I belong to BJs). The Boston butts always come in two pieces and I actually prefer them as they tend to contain less fat than the std one-piece pork shoulder.

Thanks all for the responses.

Costco did not have them displayed in the open-air meat refrigerator. I asked the butcher if he had any pork shoulder (butt) and he said he would go get one. He weighed it and slapped the price right on the cryovac.

My guess is that they didn't have time to re-stock (which may be the case if you've ever been to Costco on a Sunday afternoon!) or their policy is that you have to ask for it.

As for price, it was $1.29/lb. in Southern California.

Anything I should do differently when prepping and/or cooking a frozen, then thawed out butt?

Thanks,

DWL

Interesting. I know they sell the country style ribs at CostCo here for $1.99/lb but I guess next time I will ask if they can pull any whole butts from the back and see if they will charge less than they do for the processed version. Beats searching high and low through the grocery stores only to find one or two 5 lb butts when ya wanna cook 4 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back