Pork Shoulder on WSK

FrankT

Thanks!

I’ve been spending way too much time reading these forums to understand how to use my new toy and just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who have shared their experiences.

I wanted a kamado for years, but going against my gut I did a pellet grill first bc I thought it would be more convenient to set it and forget it with a young family that needs my attention. That produced some good results but became unreliable this year and I recently took delivery of my new WSK.

I have a long way to go but just did my first pork shoulder. The difference in smoke flavor is really remarkable. For anyone on the sidelines, dive in head first. This thing rocks!

There are a gazillion pork shoulder posts but figured the least I could do was give back so here goes:

Used kingsford with cherry, apple and hickory chunks (2 of each), deflector plate and water pan with apple juice, set to 250. It was an 8.5# butt, salted and fridged the night prior. In the morning added meat church gospel and then about 8 hours later added meat church honey hog hot. So all in it was seasoned for 24 hours and went right from fridge to WSK. I’ve done butts in the past and IMO they are hard to over season, this was really really good but not enough to stop tinkering!

Took a peak at 160 degrees but wanted a little more bark, pulled at 165. I knew I was going to travel with this to the shore and had noticed someone else post their cook where they pulled at the stall and went right to a pan covered in foil. I thought that would travel well so did the same and finished it off at 201. I did raise the temps on the WSK to 325 once foiled to speed things up.

Really happy with the turnout!

Attachments

• IMG_8246.jpeg
    IMG_8246.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8247.jpeg
    IMG_8247.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8248.jpeg
    IMG_8248.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 14
Thanks!

I’ve been spending way too much time reading these forums to understand how to use my new toy and just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who have shared their experiences.

I wanted a kamado for years, but going against my gut I did a pellet grill first bc I thought it would be more convenient to set it and forget it with a young family that needs my attention. That produced some good results but became unreliable this year and I recently took delivery of my new WSK.

I have a long way to go but just did my first pork shoulder. The difference in smoke flavor is really remarkable. For anyone on the sidelines, dive in head first. This thing rocks!

There are a gazillion pork shoulder posts but figured the least I could do was give back so here goes:

Used kingsford with cherry, apple and hickory chunks (2 of each), deflector plate and water pan with apple juice, set to 250. It was an 8.5# butt, salted and fridged the night prior. In the morning added meat church gospel and then about 8 hours later added meat church honey hog hot. So all in it was seasoned for 24 hours and went right from fridge to WSK. I’ve done butts in the past and IMO they are hard to over season, this was really really good but not enough to stop tinkering!

Took a peak at 160 degrees but wanted a little more bark, pulled at 165. I knew I was going to travel with this to the shore and had noticed someone else post their cook where they pulled at the stall and went right to a pan covered in foil. I thought that would travel well so did the same and finished it off at 201. I did raise the temps on the WSK to 325 once foiled to speed things up.

LOVE that!! I’m going to do one soon.

Thanks!

Good job. I'm new and just got my WSK recently as well. What was your charcoal setup to start it up and did you struggle to get a clean burn?

Good job. I'm new and just got my WSK recently as well. What was your charcoal setup to start it up and did you struggle to get a clean burn?
I’m new as well, got it a week ago! I picked up a FireBoard so once it stabilized at 250 I set up the fan to just hold there for overnight. There was white smoke at first but my plan was to start an hour before I wanted to put the meat on to be safe as I learn to figure things out. I don’t think I would need that much time in future but we will see.

I set it up using the charcoal baskets, with a runway in the middle. Since I was going to use the fan I had the runway angle towards the fan port but not sure if it makes a difference. I put two wood chunks in each basket and two chunks in the runway, then added some old lump I had from a previous cook on top. Then topped that off with some kingsford to bring it up to the diffuser plate level.

Back