pork shoulder blade boston roast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus H

TVWBB Member
I recently purchased a WSM and love it. I have smoked mostly ribs and chicken in other cheaper smokers over the years. I am wanting to branch out and do some other types of pork. I bought two 3 pound pork shoulder blade Boston roasts this morning. I could find nothing that actually said 'Boston butt'. Is what I purchased a boston butt or half a butt? I'm just not very knowledgable about these types of meat yet.

Thanks

Yes, you have a Boston Butt, however being in the 3 lb range, it was probably cut in 2 or 3 pieces. I have done a butt that was about 3.5 lbs and it still turned out great.

I've smoked a 3 pounder to the 190s in 9 hours. Your mileage will probably vary. You've probably already read here that you have to go by meat's temperature, not cooking time, to know when it's done. I've found that the shape of the cut - thickness, roundness - is even more important than the weight.

Good luck with the butt. All BBQ is good, but pulled pork is my favorite. I also encourage you to try the classic vinegar sauce that's easy to make and perfect with pulled pork.

That particular one took 7.5 hours, going to an internal temp of 195. But as Geoff mentions, you can never "count on" a butt to be done at a certian time. It'll be done when it's done. Anywhere between 6 and 10 hours would be considered "normal" for a butt that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back