Pork Roast redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
(see Pork Roast under recipe request)
Hello all,
I did the PR Sat. It was a 7 lb. bone-in butt.
Suffed it with a mixture of chopped garlic and green onions and my homemade salt-free seasoning mix. Added enough olive oli to made sort of a paste. Cut slits and forced in the stuff with my fingers. Took about 3 TBSP of 4 pepper mix and 1 TBSP Kosher salt and ground it coarsly in an electric grinder until. used this to coat the outside of the butt. This was on Friday afternoon.
Sat morning:
Used the MM with 1/2 ring of Kingsford. I let the top temp get to 270 before I put the meat on. This was at 1100. I was shooting for about a 7 hr. cook. I used some apple for smoke.I put the roast on a rack in a disposable pan to catch drippings. Dome temps were 235-275 for total cook. Meat got to "slicing temp" of 170 about 530 or 6 pm. Iwe weren't ready to eat so I left it on until about 715 wnhen the temp of the meat was 175. It was/is really good! And my wife made some killer gravy from the drippings.
It is totally different from PP but still very moist and tender. The beauty of the thing is that the slicing temp is the "plateau temp" so you can leave it on the WSM for an extra hour or two and not hurt it. Hope this isn't too long. I'll wait for any posts to continue. Thanks all for advice.

Neat! Sounds like a fun alternative for pork butt. I've only stuffed a pork loin, and I did that one on the grill (indirect) cuz it only needs an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back