Pork Ribs Don't Fall Apart

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I recently smoked some pork ribs for about 4.5 hours, and was not very satified with the result. The ribs were very tough, and the meat did not fall off the bone. Any thoughts on how I can improve my ribs? (ps - I did not cover the ribs with tin foil)

If they were spare ribs, 4.5 hours was probably just not long enough-- this depends on your cooking temp, however. 5.5 to 6 hours at 250°-- or longer at a lower temp-- would have been better to shoot for, when not using foil. Did you remove the membrane from the bone side?

No, I didn't remove the membrane. If you remove it, does it shorten the cooking time?

No, but it is very tough in its own right, and is best removed prior to cooking-- it's fairly inedible, anyway.

Greg

When you say "pork ribs" it's not clear if you're talking about loin backs (baby backs) or spare ribs. The former take less time to cook and cost more. Your time, 4.5 hours was probably too short for either. If they were BB, you were close; if spares, way off.

If you like the "fall off the bone" result you probably need to foil. Read the sections under cooking on the main site and you'll learn a lot. For spares, I think you'll almost certainly need 1 to 2 hours wrapped tightly (not just cover with foil) in HD foil and then finished out of the foil to get what you're looking for.

Good luck with your cooks.

Paul

There are spares, back ribs and country ribs that are a pork butt run through a band saw.

If falling of the bone is important foiling for the last hour works as does removing both membranes.

Greg

Removing the membrane makes a big difference. Trust me I know from experience
icon_redface.gif
!

Chris has a video somewhere on this site explaining how to take the membrane off. Its not hard to do and it does make a worls of difference.

Back