Pork Loin Help

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I am cooking two 8lb. (Sams Club) pork loins for Christmas Eve dinner. Plan on using 300+ temps. Any suggestions on marinades or rubs.

Wipe with a little oil of choice. Salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary, and garlic.

Don't skip the rosemary. And I like to crush it a little to bring out the flavor.

I like to take a little dice onion, apple juice, and a tad bit of beefstock. Thicken. Nice sauce.

Jon's advice is quite good. An alternative is herbes de Provence (if you have any) mixed with fresh minced garlic and crushed peppercorns.

I usually brine pork loins--sometimes a straight brine and sometimes a flavor brine--they make them much more forgiving cook-wise.

If you can roast some garlic it is delicious in a sauce. If you saute diced onion and applein unsalted butter, as Jon suggests, with some thyme and a pinch of sage, till the onion is soft and browned in spots, then add stock (I'd go with one part beef to 2 parts chicken), then simmer till well-blended, you can thicken with the roasted garlic. One apple (Granny Smith, say) and two medium onions with 2 t of thyme, a 1/4 t of sage should do it. For the stock, 1/2 c beef plus 1 c chicken. Three heads of roasted garlic squeezed in at the finish. Puree in a blender with a dash of heavy cream. Return to the stove at a simmer and add the collected juices from your roast after resting. Simmer, if needed, to thicken further.

Have a great dinner, Paul. Sounds like you will.

I do something a little easy. Butterfly the Loin and add a some pork stove top stuffing dry. Retie up and then coat with Pork Chop shake and bake with some smoke.

Gary that sounds really good. I am going to have to give that a try.

I have a question. I haven't butterflyed anything before and was wondering how far do you cut through the meat?

Another very good, a little more skill involved is a chutney stuffed loin.

Take your steal and stick all the way through the loin. Work the steal around and make the hole as big as possible. (insert joke here). Stuff with chutney. Smoke or bake.

I just slice it down the middle and lay open then fold back. Also I have done it in thirds one from one side then cut thru the other. I just have fun with it. I also have done this BRITU and cooked them side by side. Now how can you get 2 different flavors outta one smoke they said. Lots of Experience I always tell them LOL. There never the wiser.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
... Three heads of roasted garlic squeezed in at the finish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Three whole heads of garlic... you ain't jokin that you like garlic!
icon_smile.gif

I am going to cook a 4.6 lb garlic & onion marinaided pork loin from Costco for New Years
what temp and what wood would you guys suggest.And how long do you think it will take.

Thanks Mike

Back