Pork Char Siu with rice and broccoli

I want some what is the marinade
This was a last minute cook. Didn’t do a deep marinade so added some extra flavor up front for the sear and cook.

Pork butt cut into 1.5” diameter long logs 🪵. I cut up one whole butt of a two-pack.

Pork loin
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Granulated garlic
Red pepper flakes
Mustard powder
Ginger powder
5 spice powder
Brown sugar
Dry sherry
Soy sauce
Cooking oil
Hoisin sauce
Oyster sauce
Sesame oil

Combine and coat the pork logs.

Sear over direct heat but do not leave unattended as this will burn quickly. You’re just making a hard sear on this and flipping them.

Move to indirect once you have color on the pieces and repeat until all pieces make it to indirect.

Once all the pieces are seared, draw each piece back through the original marinade above. This will use all the marinade so you don’t have left over marinade.

Your indirect cook will be around 15 minutes at around 400°F.

Prepare another work bowl with one cup of honey and a few table spoons of hot water to thin the honey. The honey should be very viscous and have a low cling.

Dredge each pork log through the honey water mixture and place back on the grill. Use all but 10% of the honey.

Gently re-sear each log before you remove them from the grill. Place on a baking sheet. When all pieces are removed, pour the 10% remaining honey atop the logs that are in the sheet pan.

Pork will probe at around 165°-170°.

Rest the pork for 10 minutes before slicing.

Eat and enjoy your marvel. Serve with a small bowl of hoisin for dipping and extra umami flavor (optional, but I wanted the rich flavors presented here for this cook.)

Back